New PC that will load Windows 7 NOT 10.

Associate
No Ryzen no Kaby Lake. Anything else is fine.

Having said that I believe Win 7 EOL's in 2020? Kind of a bad idea to build a machine with Win 7. Also no DX12.
If your friend is afraid of the telemetry (*spying) in win 10, that's not a valid argument for Win 7 as that stuff has been bolted on to Win 7 now as well.

We all need to accept that there is a database somewhere that knows what our morning bowel movement looked like and how many times we thought about boobs today and move on. :p

Man of Honour
If your friend is afraid of the telemetry (*spying) in win 10, that's not a valid argument for Win 7 as that stuff has been bolted on to Win 7 now as well.

You can avoid it all in Windows 7. Only update feature updates to a certain level and you can still apply security updates without going whole hog - there are even lists out there of which updates have telemetry features or not so you can avoid them.

Dunno why people so passively accept the **** that is Windows 10 - I've a couple of tablets that unfortunately drivers only support Windows 10 - but the only things I'd miss is some start menu features and underlying kernel optimisations - everything else would work far better on 7. Especially now they've changed the way metered connections work so that you can't disable all updates which is stupid on a mobile device where you'll often have bandwidth limits.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well I got Win 10 on one PC and on each update something stops working. he has read so many bad things about win10 he don't want it. I got win7 on my self build pc from OCUK and no updates for 2 years and it's fast, no problems, and does what it says on the box. so Win10 will never goin this pc. SO, my methodology is this--It's a load of Bunkum to keep saying you should always update update update. Sorry, no hand has jumped out of my monitor to grab me and say, your win7 is going to stop working. Anyway, like me he only wants it for Photography n video. NO GAMES...lol Thanks For the Advice. Appreciated Lots. He's a bit like me--Stubborn.

Soldato
nothing wrong with using windows 7, im using it, i do own 8.1 should i feel the care to install it, windows 10 has grown on me, but think i could only have it if it came installed like a laptop i purchased months ago before going back to desktop, not to worried about keeping up to date as i dont do anything to make use of dx12 etc, plus compatibility tends to work better on win7, but win 10 is good for linking xbox one and play via computer when its not laggy.

anyways your looking at the haswell gear to keep modern enough and still use windows 7.

Man of Honour
spybot antibeacon. Windows 10 with all the tracking crap turned off. It does sadly* break the use of bing too.

*lol

Handy. I'll be using that just in case the tracking somehow slipped past me and was installed on my PC. I'm also still running Win 7 because even when it was "free" Win 10 was far too expensive for me. I'm not fond of being a product. Besides, I like to have a PC that I can be fairly sure will work all the time and not just when MS haven't broken it and I like to be able to choose what's on my PC and who can use it. My next upgrade will be purely a games console even if it is a PC. I'll use Linux for my general purpose PC, since Win 10 is inherently unreliable and insecure to a degree I'm not willing to use for anything other than gaming.

I've tried to send Spybot a donation but Verified by Visa failed to work and returned the highly "useful" error message 20028. There are...issues...with even a moderately secure computer and the net and some of them are even more inconvenient than not being able to use the world's best and most loved search engine, despite how super wonderful a thing Bing is.

Tried again and got endless "processing". Oh well. I fed it my card details both times. Maybe it'll send them both donations :)

EDIT: To answer the OP's question and considering that their friend might well have use for a fairly meaty CPU given that they're working with video and photography, I'd suggest considering an i7-4790K and a suitable 1150 motherboard. They're still available second hand, the price is reasonable and they're not very far behind the current high end CPUs in terms of performance. Certainly should be enough grunt to do the job well. I'm using an i7-4790K on a Gigabyte Z97-D3H board and that would fit the OP's request very well IMO. You could probably get an i7-4790K, decent board and 16GB of decent memory for it for £300. I'm not sure you could get 64GB in it, though. I could be wrong, but I think you'd be limited to 32GB as 4x8GB on socket 1150 boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are some branded machines on a special list that work?
That seems very anti-consumer/competitive.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/11675/windows-7-windows-8-1-skylake-systems-supported

Some corporates will won't move off Windows 7 so it's to cater to them. Now Skylake is no longer current, Lenovo are also now offering us "Skabylake" systems that are a hybrid of Skylake platform in the 7th Gen chassis. At some point the supply of Skylake will dry up in a couple of years.

Associate
OP
Many Thanks to you All for the Help & Suggestions. Duly noted this way.
He is going to hunt around. Whether he finds what he wants I don't know.
I'm finding at the moment that Rip Off Britain is alive & well with the Sky High prices. PC's are now costing more than an iMac.
So me thinks that if I ever get the sum of £1,500/£1,800 I would buy an iMac for my Photography.
In the meantime I might up my RAM to 32GB and my CPU to an i7 and up my Graphics card but no idea to which one. NVIDIA of course. I Hate AMD.

Associate
OP
Just checked on internet Ivybridge i7 3770K is hard to find. Most are now second hand at £300. RIP OFF. A little less if one looks around.
I hope this i5 3570k lasts me a bit longer. Not overclocked yet.

Back
Top Bottom