New PC time

Associate
Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a new PC at the end of the month I've already got a few parts from when they have been on sale or stuff from my old build.

So far I have:
RAM - Crucial Ballistix Elite BLE2K8G4D36BEEAK 3600 MHz, DDR4
Case - Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case
Storage - I have various bits and bots for storage, 2TB HDD and 2 small SSD
GPU - GTX 1080Ti

The parts I'm thinking of buying are a:

Ryzen 9 3900x
ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
and I also need a PSU but not sure which to go for

But to be honest I'm not entirely sure of the best options are?

Associate
OP
Ah, it's for gaming, I play games on a 2k screen and usually play stuff like hitman 2, total war series, escape from tarkov and I'm going to be playing bannerlord when that comes out too.

Soldato
Soldato
But to be honest I'm not entirely sure of the best options are?
What budget you have?
Enough money "for even sheeps to eat" like we say in Finland?
Or enough but would prefer actual bang per buck?

In latter case for example that Aorus Elite motherboard is already at overkill level for feeding 3900X in games.
Actually in chipset cooler design it simply curb stomps that marketroid designed Asus, which has chipset cooler straight under graphics card!
And might force you to move graphics card away from primary slot once summer starts and temperatures rise...
Price simply doen't correspond with quality when it comes to marketing hype powered brands.

Instead that price would be better put to some good size SSD to delegate "spinning rust" into some media storage use.
Good 1TB NVMe drive can be had for £140.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/teamgroup-mp34-1tb-nvme-pcie-m.2-solid-state-drive-hd-00b-tg.html

For PSU Phanteks AMP is good 10 year warranty 650W modular PSU for £97.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/phanteks-amp-650w-80-plus-gold-modular-power-supply-ca-09q-pt.html

Associate
OP
What budget you have?
I'll have around 900 pounds to spend on the remaining parts :)

Instead of that price would be better put to some good size SSD to delegate "spinning rust" into some media storage use.
Good 1TB NVMe drive can be had for £140.
I was thinking about possibly getting another SSD instead so maybe that's the best option to go for here can never have enough of them

Is it worth thinking about Intel? I know their clock speeds are better so guessing that would make that the better option if it's solely for gaming?

Soldato
I'll have around 900 pounds to spend on the remaining parts :)

Is it worth thinking about Intel? I know their clock speeds are better so guessing that would make that the better option if it's solely for gaming?

Not much difference between them unless your playing at 1080p and CPU bound.

Soldato
I was thinking about possibly getting another SSD instead so maybe that's the best option to go for here can never have enough of them

Space consumption of some games can be insane so better to have good amount of SSD space to not need soon more:
Modern Warface requires 175GB, which might take most of old SSD.
Also with limited number of NVMe slots that 1TB is sensible minimum when not having shoe string budget.
Basic/entry level DRAM cacheless NVMe would be actually £109, but that budget easily affords higher end drive.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

If you like having web browser, possible voice chat etc on background 50% higher core count is going to win little higher per core performance in future.
With next-gen consoles bringing 8 cores/16 threads as base level in fall/before Christmas, heavy games of the future will expect to have lots of cores exclusively for themselves.
In few years heavier PC games could well demand more than 8 cores to perform best.

Also improved architecture Zen3 CPUs will be BIOS update compatible with current AM4 boards.
If improvement is anything like between Zen+ and Zen2, those are going to take single core performance crown from Intel's Skylake rebrandings.
Which have who knows how many more vulnerabilities to patch.
Intel simply didn't give a damn for security when it kept improving performance to surpass AMD last time and speculative code execution etc have more holes than Swiss cheese.
Also on Intel platform you'll be stuck at that 8c/16t.

As for possible other improvements instead of very expensive, and half assed design, motherboard what you have in that other side of gaming immersion, sound?
If you don't have actually good surround speaker set, good headphones with binaural sound simulation can give very nice immersion with even feel of distance besides directionality.
And without cost/placing&space requirement/room acoustics problems.
Very comfortable Beyerdynamic DT990 (open design for quiet environment) and DT770 (closed design) can be gotten for £100 level.
Sound cartd capable to driving most available headphones and good binaural sound simulation isn't much more.

Associate
OP
If you like having web browser, possible voice chat etc on background 50% higher core count is going to win little higher per core performance in future.
This is the main reason for me upgrading right now, I used discord and usually have a chrome session going in the background while I play my games and I'm noticing that discord is dropping in and out when my CPU is hitting 100% on my poor i5-3570K.

I think the jump up to the Ryzen 9 3900X is gonna be a game-changer (literally) and the improvement is going to be massive :)

Modern Warface requires 175GB
This is the reason it is currently uninstalled for me haha

As for possible other improvements instead of very expensive, and half assed design, motherboard what you have in that other side of gaming immersion, sound?
If you don't have actually good surround speaker set, good headphones with binaural sound simulation can give very nice immersion with even feel of distance besides directionality.
I currently only use my headphones (HyperX Cloud II 7.1) for my PC as I share my room so it hasn't really been a possible option to go for surround sound.

Soldato
This is the reason it is currently uninstalled for me haha
They should have called it Drive Space Warfare, because of PC needing to pass that test before getting to play it at all.
Let's hope Microsoft doesn't copy that in any way, or we'll soon have quarter TB sized patch of do nothing/create errors loops.

3900X is definitely no brainer over Intel for multitasking during gaming.
Games like AC Odyssey can already scale past 8 cores and SMT threads aren't real substitutes for extra cores to handle background tasks.

I currently only use my headphones (HyperX Cloud II 7.1) for my PC as I share my room so it hasn't really been a possible option to go for surround sound.
Even if you had dedicated gaming room you can't just put speakers into some random space, no matter how expensive, and expect good sound if room acoustics isn't decent.
Speaker positioning and room acoustics makes huge difference to sound and movie theaters no doubt spend as much money to acoustic design and room materials than speakers.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all advice guys I ended up with the following PC:

Ryzen 9 3900X
Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
Crucial Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600 MHz, DDR4
GTX 1080Ti
Corsair Obsidian 750D
RMX SERIES RMX750 750W '80 PLUS GOLD'
MP34 M.2 SSD
And then my 2 older SSDs and HDD

All put together yesterday and working very nicely: