• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New Processor = New Install?

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
Well up to you, but If they are different chipsets thats pretty silly IMO.

When i booted up on my 965 C2D rig with a Nf4 mobo and drivers it booted to windows first time, performance was dire, and still was worse than it was when the Intel drivers were installed.

So reinstall for new chipset > not reinstalling.
Well i went from an asus 939 setup to that in sig and just changed the mobo/cpu/mem, booted to the same HDD's. removed the previous chipset drivers and instaled the new ones, only other thing i had to re-instale was the XFi. fast as calvin 1st time round and still no issues. worked for me.
Now on my 5th mobo (all Asus) on a 2001 oem XP disk (pre SP1) and still not had to re-install (different system).

Associate
Not sure with Vista but with xp i just run sysprep reseal windows change mobo etc boot to the windows setup wizard as when you install windows setup new drives and jobs a goodun

Soldato
pegasus1 said:
Well i went from an asus 939 setup to that in sig and just changed the mobo/cpu/mem, booted to the same HDD's. removed the previous chipset drivers and instaled the new ones, only other thing i had to re-instale was the XFi. fast as calvin 1st time round and still no issues. worked for me.
Now on my 5th mobo (all Asus) on a 2001 oem XP disk (pre SP1) and still not had to re-install (different system).

I think he means that you can do it, but a lot of the time you get a large performance hit.

When I went from my barton 2600 to my venice 3000, I used it for a few days without formatting, while I was backing up some stuff, and tried a few games, when I formatted, my FPS and general system performance went up massively.

I didn't even attempt this when I went from the Venice to the C2d (AMD to Intel, I didnt fancy it TBH).

Shep, welcome to the forums. But that signaure is MASSIVELY to big. It is 4 lines max here...

Back
Top Bottom