New PSU Made PC Absolutely Silent?

Soldato
Psu fan of my current PSU, and the other two 1kw+ ones I've got here, are all the loudest fan/pump in my pc when they spin up, unless my system has been under full/heavy load (hour or two) long enough for the water in my loop to get really hot and the other fans too go above 50%.

Soldato
Super old PSU? I haven't chased noise on my PC for over a decade. My PSU went pop around the same time (a Tagan I had serviced in person in Telford). Been inaudible ever since (else I have got old and hearing failed).

Associate
I had a similar experience when I upgraded to a newer PSU - the older one was an 850w EVGA that was about 3 years old which I replaced with a HX1500i Corsair (that was on offer at the time, I wasn't looking for that much extra capacity). I did initially think the Corsair was faulty as it was so much quieter: the fan on it worked but almost always seemed to be at 0 rpm (though I could manually make it run). I read a few things at the time that suggested the higher capacity meant it could work much more efficiently and didn't need to cool down quite so much, whereas the 850w would have been working much harder to supply my custom loop behemoth (though it should still comfortably have been able to supply enough juice). That sounded plausible but I suppose it just could come down to a better product?

Associate
Before getting my actual Seasonic, tried two TUF PSUs and yes, the fan used is loud. First one was kicking in for no reason. Replacement didn’t, but when the fan had to spin, was loud. Noise profile more noticeable than the GPU even.
0 rpm is a blessing.
I guess I’m just spoiled by the T30s and the Phantom Spirit Evo.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Had a sunflower 850 titanium p/s for 8 years and I don't think the fan even span up once, but never gamed.

Come to think about it complete overkill purchase, but I wasn't sure if I would game or not.

Back
Top Bottom