New PSU Made PC Absolutely Silent?

Associate
I had a 2014 Super Flower PSU in my new PC build (AMD 7950x, Liquid Freezer 2). I just installed a Corsair RMX 1000w Shift (cables out the side) and when I powered it on was blown away by how quiet the PC runs.

Is this normal? All components unchanged, BIOS unchanged, fans unchanged. Sound level very obviously much lower. Just PSU different.

Seems weird?

Man of Honour
Not very common, PSUs are rarely audible over the other fans, especially at lower temperatures, but I don't know what kind of fan your PSU had, or what condition it was in.

Soldato
I have spent a lot of time chasing noise levels and working out where the noise is coming from. When I optimised all my fans and airflow I got to the point that my PSU represented the loudest thing at idle. Swapped PSUs and it got better.

The next step, especially highlighted when I went to water cooling, was hard drive noise. That's an entirely other quality of drone.

PSU fan and hard drive drone were the two sounds I consider "PC too intrusive" if I can hear it from the sofa while watching TV. The actual fan noise under load bothers me much less, presumably because I'm gaming rather than passively watching content.

Associate
Not really something I've heard of before. Ironically my corsair is the loudest at the moment with coil/cap whine. My EVGA and Silverstone PSU's were silent compared to my corsair one.

Associate
The newer psu's are generally allquiet...the rm1000x wont spin it's fan up anyway until it's drawing a decent amount of power..actually just put this on another thread...and mine's silent also..guess by time it makes a noise my case fans will be louder so i don't hear it anyway(I've never stuck my ear to it when doing a stress test and case fans are running hard)

in the below...av fan noise when on is 23dbA, only beaten by the Asus rog strix 1000g

on corsair website it makes 0 noise up to 500w(so guessing thats the fan not spinning at all then), then 5dbA from 500 to 700w and then starts to climb from there, but under full load only just creeps over 30 decibels

Associate
I can't say that I've ever noticed a PSU being noisy. Maybe the fan was on it's way out on your old one and just gradually got louder without you realising.

Man of Honour
It almost looks like the RMx quietened the non-PSU related stuff (PC fans). Maybe it was just the actual PSU fan itself.
It shouldn't make any difference unless you connected the PC fans to the motherboard or a fan controller instead of directly to the PSU, when you replaced the PSU.

Man of Honour
Oh, forgot to mention, the top 2 fans on my Fractal North case are not moving at all during idol... which I don't think was the case with old PSU.
How are they connected to their power source?

PSUs don't control fan speed and will just run them at full pelt if you connect it directly to the PSU via a molex.

It sounds like you connected your fans differently to before.

Associate
OP
Fans are connected to MB. There is no controller. Only connection I added to MB was the 60v USB charging the Crosshair Hero offers via an additional PCIe power connector.

I changed my fan profiles a couple weeks before the PSU change... but they were never set to "off" across the chart.

Soldato
my 1 year and 4 month old white corsair 750 rmx was pretty quiet, had it in a fractal design r4 window case though and have your psu in white now in my new case, lian li lan cool 3 with no soundproofing and i cant tell much difference tbh

fans can ramp up playing games etc but not very noticble over what i had, the only thing i notice is when i move from my desk and over to my bed then i can hear the fans on the front intake of my case a lot louder than my old one but not when side on with the case like at my desk and the psu's are whisper quiet :)

Soldato
Slightly relevant, but I noticed my CPU fan spin up when encoding with HandBrake recently. It sounded a little rough, so it'll be getting the 3-in-1 oil treatment soon. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom