New PSU opinions

Associate
Hi, i'm interested in upgrading my PSU since i've meant to do it for ages and now the noisy thing is getting on my nerves. What would you guys reccomend as the best PSU around now for about £50. I'm looking to go AM2 dual core with a DX10 GPU by the end of the year, so i guess 480w would be a minimum right? Also, the quieter the better!

n3x

n3x

Associate
The 580w hiper isnt half bad, it seems like a decent enough psu for just over 50 quid and its fairly quiet. But i'd recommend spending that little bit more and going either tagan or enermax for quietness and probly better overall quality. I'm thinking about making the change myself. Seasonic appear to be the dogs wotsits but thats probly abit out of your price range!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You could get a Tagan 480w for around £60 which is a good PSU, a Hiper 580w for ~£60, Akasa do a 460w PSU for ~£50 and FSP(Sparkle) do a 500w for ~£60.

Of them Tagan and Hiper are the best known, the Hiper does have the advantage of being modular and I believe from other reports to be fairly quiet.

If you could go to £70 or so then you get a lot more options including offerings by Enermax and Antec, including some modular PSUs for around that price.

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
Of them Tagan and Hiper are the best known, the Hiper does have the advantage of being modular and I believe from other reports to be fairly quiet.
The Tagan is modular too. I'm stuck myself on those two. The Hiper is aesthetically more pleasing but the Tagan is quieter. At least from what i've concluded from reviews and users with hands on experience.

Man of Honour
The Jet said:
The Tagan is modular too. I'm stuck myself on those two. The Hiper is aesthetically more pleasing but the Tagan is quieter. At least from what i've concluded from reviews and users with hands on experience.

The 480w doesn't appear to be unless I am missing something, there is a 430w and 530w that are "Easycon" which appears to be Tagan-speak for modular but the one I was looking at is about halfway down the Tagan page and makes no mention of it :)

Associate
OP
Here's more praise for the Hiper :
Toms Hardware PSU test
I still cant gauge its noise levels, could anyone who has one give me your opinions? Also, what connectors does it have? I currently have a 20 pin motherboard but will be upgrading to a dual core AM2 by the end of the year, with a possibility of dual GPUs in the future, so does it have all the neccesary cables for that path?
Thanks!

Soldato
Yup, that test was what got me interested in the PSU. :)

I've heard people say the Hiper is very quiet while others say the complete opposite elsewhere. This all comes down to what people are running in their PC's and the ambient noise levels of their environment. What i've decided to do however is simply buy the thing and sell it on for a Seasonic if it's not to my liking. :)

As for AM2, i have no idea.

Associate
OP
It seems to be ok for AM2, I cant see it drawing much more than a high end pentium 4 and 7800gtx SLI which reviews have said it handles. Upon digging around for noise levels i found a few conflicting reviews such as this:
Custom PC
I usually trust Custom PCs reviews as they have served me well in the past, but this seems a little too brief to draw conclusions from.
KizZ, your sig says you have one, what are your experiences?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom