• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New PSU Rqd?

Soldato
So I’m upgrading from a zotac amp extreme 1070 to a 1080ti.

Currently I have a super flower gold 450w psu, problem is I’ve just realised that it only has one cable feeding graphics card, cable is split off into 2 eight slot connectors.

Other system specs are, i7 6700K oc to 4.4, 2 SSD drives and 1 nvme drive.

Thanks

Soldato
Definetly time for an upgrade IMO. Split cables aren't inherently bad (the HX1000i that I have uses them), but on only a 450W unit and powering an overclocked CPU and a 1080 Ti it's cutting it pretty close to begin with, given 1080 Tis can peak around 300W even at stock.

Man of Honour
You need a new decent quality 650w or more psu. The 1080ti alone can draw 300w, even more for the factory overclocked versions.

At the cheaper end are the Bitfenix Formula series. These are gold rated CWT built units with all of their 650w and 750w available on their quad 12v rails. All the cables are fixed and they have a 5 year warranty.

The Antec Earthwatts Pro series are gold rated Seasonic built units based on a modified Focus Plus platform. They have 648w and 750w respectively on their single 12v rails. These are semi-modular and have 7 year warranties.

The Antec High Current Gamer Gold series are also Seasonic built and are basically a Focus Plus Gold in a different case. Gold rated and fully modular these have 648w and 744w respectively on their single 12v rails. They have 10 year warranties.

The Seasonic Focus Plus is gold rated and fully modular. The 650w has 648w on it's single 12v rail and has a 10 year warranty. The 750w version would be on this list but is out of stock.

I would personally use a pair of seperate cables to power your 1080ti, especially if using a multi 12v rail psu, rather than a single cable and using both plugs on it.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Or that Seasonic Focus Plus 850w that Apone70 has suggested which is a cracking deal.

No I wouldn't stick with Superflower. They have lost ground against their rivals and only have 5 years warranty on their Leadex and 7 years on their Leadex II psu's. Seasonic, Antec HCG, EVGA (ironically using Leadex and Leadex II units for their G2/G3/P2/T2 series) all have 10 years.

Back
Top Bottom