new psu

Associate
it has been a while since i bought a new PSU, now thoiugh i need to as mine is not powerful enough for may new graphics card. the card is a radeon 7900xt nitro and requires three 8 pin connectors. I see the new 16 pin is a new std but as the card requires 3 X 8 PINS does this mean i just connect the extra 8 pin connector in addition on the new PSU i buy?

Man of Honour
I see the new 16 pin is a new std but as the card requires 3 X 8 PINS does this mean i just connect the extra 8 pin connector in addition on the new PSU i buy?
The 16 pin is only for nvidia cards (4070 Super and up), the Nitro uses the much older PCIE 8-pin you're already familiar with.

Most (if not all) high wattage ATX 3.0/PCIE5 PSUs will have the connectors available for the Nitro, but they don't all have three separate ports so you can use 3 separate cables.

For the most part that won't matter and you'll be fine with 1x daisy chain and 2x cables overall, but it is a sacrifice you may have to make when buying the newer PSU for a card like the 7900 XT Nitro.

Associate
OP
The 16 pin is only for nvidia cards (4070 Super and up), the Nitro uses the much older PCIE 8-pin you're already familiar with.

Most (if not all) high wattage ATX 3.0/PCIE5 PSUs will have the connectors available for the Nitro, but they don't all have three separate ports so you can use 3 separate cables.

For the most part that won't matter and you'll be fine with 1x daisy chain and 2x cables overall, but it is a sacrifice you may have to make when buying the newer PSU for a card like the 7900 XT Nitro.
Thank you for the reply. I assume by daisy chain, you're referring to one pci-e with 2 x 8 pins gpu connectors

Back
Top Bottom