New RAM Instability

Associate
Ive recently "upgraded" my RAM from G.Skill 4Gb PC2-6400 800MHz to OCZ 4GB PC2-8500C5 1066MHz Platinum Series.

When I installed them, I increased the RAM voltage to 2.2v which is what they state on the chips, and also modified the bois to make them run roughly at they're rated speed of 1060MHz. This involved changing the FSB and Multiplier. The PC would not boot up at all, so changed the settings back to what they were, and then simply tried increasing them from 912MHz to 950MHz. This allowed me to boot up but failed Prime Blend in less than a minute.

After that, i tried lots of combinations of FSB, Mulitpliers and CPU/DRAM Ratio's. In the end i discovered the computer is only stable when i dont change the multiplier and raise the FSB :confused:

Assuming it was an issue with the N/B, i increased the MCH voltage by one notch and it made no real difference when changing the Mulitplier and increasing the FSB. But, it did allow me to run the RAM at 950MHz without crashing and seemed fine in a 1-2 hour stint of Prime Blend.

Then I decreased the CPU clock speed, and increased the CPU/DRAM ratio to get the RAM up to 1062MHz and that worked fine too :confused:

After that, i got fed up and gave up on the RAM. So i then started clocking my CPU further, from my original 3.42GHz to 3.51GHz. This runs perfectly fine, prime FFT tested for nearly 3 hours with no issues (doing it again now to make sure). This also pushed the DRAM Frequency from 950 to 975MHz, and that seemed to work fine, but today i tested it in blend and it fails, usually within 20mins.

Needless to say, im pretty dissapointed, but i have a strong feeling Im overlooking something. Can anyone explain why i cant change my multiplier and FSB without making the system unstable? Even when lowering the CPU clock, it wont boot. Should i be changing other voltages/settings to cope with the increased FSB?

Hope all of that makes sense, tried to summarise my experiences, if anyone has any questions, let me know and i'll do my best to answer :)

All i really want to achieve is to get the PC stable at its current CPU clock and to get the RAM to thier spec of 1060MHz.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Having re-read the OC'ing guide, it seems like i have over looked the Max FSB and perhaps i should work this out and then attempt modifying the multiplier. Does this sound logical to anyone?

Back
Top Bottom