New RAM recommendations

Associate
Iam looking at upgrading my now aging (but still working very well) 2500K system to a Ryzen 3 probably 3700X. I run a fair few VMs for testing and work purposes so am looking at 64 GB for system memory, however the prices are confusing me a bit. I don't really want RGB so have been keeping an eye on the G Skill kits from OCUK for a while. Looking tonight I see that the 3200 Kit is £120 more expensive than the 3600. I know it has better timings but will it really make that much difference? Also at the moment the 8-Pack kit is down to £619.99 so I am thinking about biting the bullet on this as I have read that these are guaranteed to be B-Die chips which are the best overclockers out there. I take it that it will be compatible with pretty much all AMD boards? I am not looking to heavily overclock but I believe these would give me more headroom than the G-Skills, is this correct?

Soldato
Call me boring if you like, but how about some Kingston Fury 2666? 16GB can be purchased £65 each, so 64GB your looking at around £260. It's not the speed you want but it's reliable memory at a good price.

I did check out this video, yes the faster memory is making a different, but not much in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdaYFYsSJsw

Associate
Here are some things to think about.
Faster RAM does make a difference on Ryzen.
Ryzen loves samsung b die kits and 3600Mhz is really the fastest you need to go as AMD have stated that the infinity fabric ratio is one to one at this speed.
Faster than 3600 can slow the system down.
Currently the 3600 8 pack kit is cheaper than the 3200 8 pack kit. I also use lots of vm's and faster memory does help.
No idea if they would overclock better than the g-skills. The Gskill RAM is very good. (the stuff I have is anyway)
You will need a decent motherboard to run the 4 sticks at a decent speed.

Associate
You can go for IF 1933 and 3866 RAM it will be the fastest but also cost lots of money for 64GB. If I was going to go for RAM for a VM lab I would pick the amount I needed at the closest to 3600 as I could get. Get 8-pack RAM if you what the faster speeds and no real problems (no guarantee with overclocking). Mostly posts about samsung b-die (8-pack) vs. micron e-die (Ballistix) for Ryzen.

I am at 1900 IF and 3800 RAM at the moment, with decent timings. This is with 8-pack RAM, samsung b-die that is XMP 3600. I could hit 3800 with no changes in voltage or timings.

Back
Top Bottom