New RAM wont boot

Associate
Yeah I think I've done as suggested. Will the 2933 be slower than 3600? Should I have just bought 3000hz ram?

Well, yes it will be slower. Noticeably slower? Probably not.

Quite a few people are having memory-related issues (it's happened with every gen of Ryzen so far...). Find a setting that will run, perhaps 2933MHz, and leave it there. There will certainly be BIOS and AGESA updates in future- it's still a very new platform.
These teething troubles seem to be more commonplace now, especially on the AMD side of things.

Soldato
Be worth seeing which BIOS version you're on also. The initial release of the BIOS supporting the 5000 might work, but later BIOS revisions often fix things/make things more stable.

Associate
OP
Do these figures appear to be correct?

ae97062f4e21a1a3d8160e0ebec8b889.png

Edit: updating to latest BIOS (V1.30 -> V1.54)

Last edited:
Associate
The timings are very slow. You could probably shave those down quite a bit.
It's a c18 kit at 3600MHz, running slower than that should mean faster timings but I guess your mobo is playing it safe (your speed is correct, btw- will show as half-speed because that's how DDR is).

You could try upping the speed a notch or two at a time, maybe say 3200 and see how it goes. If that works, try 3466, rinse and repeat. Let's see if the new BIOS helps...
We need to get the MHz sorted first, timings can follow later!

Associate
OP
My Teamgroup 3600Mhz RAM (2X8) does the exact same thing, if I use XMP profile 1 it reboots and will not power on. I then have to reset BIOS and use XMP profile 2 in the BIOS which works fine, no idea why the profiles look identical when looking in CPU Z (assuming CPU Z shows the correct details) not sure if you can choose a different XMP profile?

So I tried this, whilst setting it to 3600hz and upping the voltage to 1.35 and it appears to have worked - thank you so much. No idea why the profiles would be different in any way.

This look good?

9f6048d683c618d63076d34a66d438e3.png

Associate
That will do for now!

The timings can probably be improved, but yes, you're now at 3600MHz. Stuff the timings for now, that's not a biggie in the grand scheme of things.
The 22s can almost certainly all become 18s, and that Trfc is ridiculous.. but it's working and that's the main thing!

Changing the timings will involve manual entry of the values- there's a thing called Ryzen DRAM Calculator which will give you the recommended timings. This is not as tricky as it sounds, so as and when you'd like to try, myself or many others here can talk you through it.

For now, I'd say enjoy your system over Christmas...

EDIT Apology for over-use of the term 'for now' in this post.:D

Associate
OP
That will do for now!

The timings can probably be improved, but yes, you're now at 3600MHz. Stuff the timings for now, that's not a biggie in the grand scheme of things.
The 22s can almost certainly all become 18s, and that Trfc is ridiculous.. but it's working and that's the main thing!

Changing the timings will involve manual entry of the values- there's a thing called Ryzen DRAM Calculator which will give you the recommended timings. This is not as tricky as it sounds, so as and when you'd like to try, myself or many others here can talk you through it.

For now, I'd say enjoy your system over Christmas...

EDIT Apology for over-use of the term 'for now' in this post.:D

That'd be brilliant. I'll leave that for now haha. Your help is much appreciated - thank you.

Associate
The new Ryzen ranges have all had their hiccups... my RAM won't even do the speed it used to, as I'm pretty sure I've ragged the memory controller a little too hard (2nd gen very hit'n'miss- you got a good one or you didn't...).
I'm stuck at 2933 with only 16GB now, and boy is that annoying. :(

These things are sent to try us.

Back
Top Bottom