New rider - reliable Helmet cam (GoPro too expensive)

Soldato
Would like to get footage for rides and give some protection against idiot liability and review my own riding.

Are Helmet mounted cameras better?

Any recommendations for something reliable?

GoPro is out of my price range.

Was looking at Drift cameras but heard stories about poor reliability.

Also, where is optimal to position them?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Would like to get footage for rides and give some protection against idiot liability and review my own riding.

Are Helmet mounted cameras better?

Any recommendations for something reliable?

GoPro is out of my price range.

Was looking at Drift cameras but heard stories about poor reliability.

Also, where is optimal to position them?

Many thanks.

I haven't rode for about 5 years now but I used to have an older go pro model, worked a treat for me and had it on a chest mount, I also considered the Drift Ghost (I think that's the name of it) but managed to get the gopro in a sale

Man of Honour
Consider a bike mounted camera if you really want one. Helmet mounted cameras pose additional risk if you come off the bike. Any protrusions from the helmet can catch the surface and create a rotational moment with your head, leading to neck and spinal injuries. Look into Arai helmets design philosophy and it’ll become clear.

The Innov bike mounted cameras come highly recommended. I don’t have personal experience but a lot of the guys I ride with have them as a teaching aid for advanced riding and they do look good.

If protecting yourself from idiots is a priority, the money would be better spent on advanced rider training. It will equip you with the skills and techniques to stay clear of most of the muppets out there.

Back
Top Bottom