new rider

Soldato
I have recently got into cycling, going out every weekend with the friends for a 20-30 mile ride, and trying to go out at least once in the week before work to do 8-9 miles

Currently using the father in-laws bike which is too small for me and has clipless pedals even though I dont have the shoes -_-

now we cycle on roads and canal paths/mud paths(hard mud) so I have ruled out a road bike

however I am now torn between getting a cyclocross bike or a hybrid. what would everyone recommend?

I was looking at this which I can get for £500 through my brothers staff discount.
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-dark-peak-adventure-bike-p347153

Soldato
Well that's not strictly true, but if you know you're getting into longer rides for leisure then there's not much point in getting a hybrid to start out with. The Calibre looks like a decent bike to start out with. In the description it says it comes with the "new-for-2015 Shimano Tiagra 10-speed drivetrain", which would be 4700, but the pictures show the older style 4600. Could be worth finding out which it has, because the new one is a big step up. Can't really recommend any better alternatives at that price regardless though, right now.

Soldato
Nice bike for what you want to use it for. Good enough spec that it shouldn't really cause you any issues. I've heard Hayes brakes can offer pretty decent performance and longevity, but as with any mechanicals they'll probably require fairly regular adjustment. Kona is a well respected manufacturer, they're just normally a bit overpriced in the UK because they're imported. £400 is a nice price for that bike.

Soldato
Not that I'm especially confident in Go Outdoors' bike mechanic skills, but this can happen with newer bikes - as all the parts break in and the cables "stretch" it can require some readjustment after a couple of weeks. Most shops will offer to do this for free. That said, mechanical discs like those are notoriously difficult to set up well. You need the stationary pad to be practically whistling the rotor and enough cable tension that the caliper is already partly engaged in the resting position.

Soldato
OP
Not that I'm especially confident in Go Outdoors' bike mechanic skills, but this can happen with newer bikes - as all the parts break in and the cables "stretch" it can require some readjustment after a couple of weeks. Most shops will offer to do this for free. That said, mechanical discs like those are notoriously difficult to set up well. You need the stationary pad to be practically whistling the rotor and enough cable tension that the caliper is already partly engaged in the resting position.

Not just the brakes and gearing that the problem though.

My front wheel nearly came off on a ride. The cable came sliding out of the front derailleur where he hadn't done the bolt up. Handle bars were not lined up correctly. the list goes on and on. the rear derailleur works like a dream though so one things right :)

Soldato
Yeah that's almost criminally bad. Will have to think twice about recommending Go Outdoors again. But in terms of wheels, the rule for quick releases that almost nobody seems to know is that they should be tightened to the point where the lever starts to feel resistance at about the half way point, perpendicular to the bike.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that's almost criminally bad. Will have to think twice about recommending Go Outdoors again. But in terms of wheels, the rule for quick releases that almost nobody seems to know is that they should be tightened to the point where the lever starts to feel resistance at about the half way point, perpendicular to the bike.

I have to be fair to the store though, I walked in at 6:30 decided on my bike at 7:30 and they closed at 9.

so he only had an hour and a half to build my bike and was being hounded by other customers/staff. so in reality I should have just said I will pick it up the next day. But i wanted my shiny new toy!

Soldato
Still they should have said 'tough luck come back tomorrow' rather than rushing the build. Maybe they are under pressure to meet sales targets, who knows.

Most places will offer a free first service, because as mentioned above, some components need to bed in a bit and will need rechecking after a few miles to make sure everything is tight and adjusted.

Man of Honour
I would go with a cyclocross as there is nothing good about hybrids.
Without wishing to hijack the thread would you be able to explain why hybrids aren't great? I'm currently thinking of getting a bike and a hybrid seemed a good idea (mostly road riding with occasional trail). Thanks.

Soldato
They don't do road or trail particularly well as the bike is designed for both. I would choose what you do most of and go with a bike for that. 2 bikes is always better than 1 :D

Man of Honour
They don't do road or trail particularly well as the bike is designed for both. I would choose what you do most of and go with a bike for that. 2 bikes is always better than 1 :D
Thanks. Unfortunately two bikes isn't an option. But I'll consider what you suggest :)

Soldato
Without wishing to hijack the thread would you be able to explain why hybrids aren't great? I'm currently thinking of getting a bike and a hybrid seemed a good idea (mostly road riding with occasional trail). Thanks.

People have very strong opinions either way. They can be good bikes for what they are. Especially for just starting out, or for shorter trips in urban riding. The main disadvantage on the roads is that the flat bars can get uncomfortable on longer rides as they're quite restrictive and can put a lot of strain on the wrists. If you know there's something you'd prefer to focus on then it's typically better to get something more suited to that. And sometimes people have some misconceptions about exactly what each type of bike is capable of. Road bikes are fine on relatively smooth dirt or small packed gravel for example. Otherwise, you can always get something else later, especially if you haven't spent that much on one to begin with.

Soldato
Jack of all trades master of none really. I had a 'hardtail' (front fork) hybrid for a fair while and I've used it for everything from wading through thick mud (hello, wheel spin), singletrack trails, bridleway paths and gravel tracks to just plain road riding.

I've still got it but now that I've got a 29er and a road bike I never end up using it. Though it was funny to overtake roadies and watch them launch an attack :D

Man of Honour
Jack of all trades master of none really. I had a 'hardtail' (front fork) hybrid for a fair while and I've used it for everything from wading through thick mud (hello, wheel spin), singletrack trails, bridleway paths and gravel tracks to just plain road riding.

I've still got it but now that I've got a 29er and a road bike I never end up using it. Though it was funny to overtake roadies and watch them launch an attack :D
People have very strong opinions either way. They can be good bikes for what they are. Especially for just starting out, or for shorter trips in urban riding. The main disadvantage on the roads is that the flat bars can get uncomfortable on longer rides as they're quite restrictive and can put a lot of strain on the wrists. If you know there's something you'd prefer to focus on then it's typically better to get something more suited to that. And sometimes people have some misconceptions about exactly what each type of bike is capable of. Road bikes are fine on relatively smooth dirt or small packed gravel for example. Otherwise, you can always get something else later, especially if you haven't spent that much on one to begin with.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom