New rider

Associate
Evening all, I have recently obtained my unrestricted A licence. Took a while with covid etc.. learned and passed on an MT07 with about 40hrs of tuition. Looking at purchasing a naked. My question is I quite like the 2018 CB1000R, and considering the rider modes, would the experienced riders on here think it's a good choice? I'm a late starter (49) and 6ft tall. I enjoyed the MT07 but feels a tad small/light. All points/recommendations welcomed...thanks in advanced.

Soldato
Evening all, I have recently obtained my unrestricted A licence. Took a while with covid etc.. learned and passed on an MT07 with about 40hrs of tuition. Looking at purchasing a naked. My question is I quite like the 2018 CB1000R, and considering the rider modes, would the experienced riders on here think it's a good choice? I'm a late starter (49) and 6ft tall. I enjoyed the MT07 but feels a tad small/light. All points/recommendations welcomed...thanks in advanced.

A light bike is usually a good thing, easier to corner, change direction and avoid hazards.
I think the best route is to do some test rides, I would not buy a 1000cc bike as 1st bike, from the mt07 to a cb1000r is a big jump, it is probably double of HP and Torque.
If you were younger I would advise to start around 300 to 400cc, since you are on your 40s, you are probably more sensible and responsible :p so a 600 to 700 would be ok.
But ofc, that is my opinion.

P.S.: also I would remove your postcode from you location :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you’d be fine with a CB1000R, they are quick when you’re high in the rev range but they aren’t bad at all, they are no different to riding a 600.

Soldato
If you've ridden the 1000r and like it then there is no real reason not to buy it. I've had plenty of fast bike but the sweet spot for me is around 100bhp. much more than that and its very very easy to get yourself into trouble and I didnt really find it necessary for public roads but if you're sensible and you like it no reason not to go for it.

Soldato

Don't see a problem myself - so long as you respect the throttle, you'll be alright; just remember rider modes are unlikely to make it much more user-friendly.

Tbh, I did find that bike a bit underwhelming for a 1000cc - but it's an inline 4 Honda, and they do "dull" quite well ;)

Back
Top Bottom