New scam, please read this!

Soldato
Sorry but this part of the story just sounds a bit BS tbh...

I find it hard to believe it actually happened in the first place - you can't just switch someone's phone off at random, let alone do it to several people as part of a scam - I think your friend is exaggerating - perhpas in embarrassment at falling for someone simply phoning up, pretending to be from BT and merely threatening to cut him/her off

This. I don't believe the line was actually disconnected.

Soldato
The key to sussing out how they did this depends on a few points.

a). Did he hang up 1st or did they?
b). When he tried to ring the land line from his mobile what tone did he get.

If he hung up 1st, then they didn't and the line would still be open. They could have easily played any tone down the phone to immitate what ever they wanted to. If he got the engaged tone when he tried his mobile, that is what they probably did.

If he got something else when he rang the land line, they probably had some access to the telcom gear.
That sounds to be exactly right. The victim, at least here in the US, would need to keep the phone on the hook for about 30 seconds to completely disconnect. But if they decide to check right away it will just be silence or, like Pinter said, whatever tone they choose to play. Pretty clever, actually. :)

Soldato
i know people on here think this is silly and probably wouldnt fall to it but id recommend teling any OAP friends or relatives

can imagine my grandma falling for this one even when she worked for BT fo 30 years :o

Soldato
I thought i was getting scammed a couple of weeks ago.

Had some woman ring me up claiming to be from "BT Finance", would i be interested in a credit card. Told her that BT are a phone company, she wasn't getting my bank details, she could stick it where the sun doesn't shine and she'd have to try a lot harder than that if she wanted to rip me off. I may have been less polite getting those points over too.

And then i saw an advert for it on the tv the following day ...... oops!

Associate
BT would have sent your friend 2 or 3 letters before threatening to cut the line. Missing payments = more money for them.

Back
Top Bottom