New shoes...

Izi

Izi

Soldato
There have been three times when I have accelerated in the wet and the back end has gone out and I nearly crapped my pants, so I was looking for some new tires.

Everyone agree these are good in the wet? I assume most tires are OK in the dry?!

How much did you pay?

Associate
There have been three times when I have accelerated in the wet and the back end has gone out and I nearly crapped my pants, so I was looking for some new tires.

From my limited experience, roadsmarts and pilot road's on my CBR... hard acceleration in the wet will spin the back wheel, its wet, and there aint much weight on it.

Maybe you need to look to be more gentle with the throttle in the wet instead :D

Izi

Izi

Soldato
From my limited experience, roadsmarts and pilot road's on my CBR... hard acceleration in the wet will spin the back wheel, its wet, and there aint much weight on it.

Maybe you need to look to be more gentle with the throttle in the wet instead :D

Maybe a bit, but I really don't drive like a *** when its wet. This happened twice at low speed going round a roundabout. Once was at higher speed ~50mph going round a slight bend uphill.

I had to change my pants.

Associate
OP
It's not always the rain that's causing problems - if there's oil on the road (which there will be after a logn period of no rain), you're going to have issues.

Soldato
Pilot Road 2's fitted 2 weeks ago, hammered it down yesterday and still wet this morning, was getting some decent lean angles for the wet, hard acceleration in 2nd and up didn't cause any problems at all, front feels planted, honestly couldn't ask for a better tyre.

As for the guy with the PR3's on the 999.... if it won't ever see rain... what's the point in the PR3's?! you don't buy a 999 to do huge mileage on either, so sport touring tyres seem like a silly idea.

Associate
Just out of interest why would you put a sports touring tyre on the 999s?

There's a few good reasons to go for a sports touring tyre on a 999s, or any bike for that matter, if you're out on a rideout a 100 mile from home and it rains heavily which tyre would you rather be on, i know which tyre i would rather be on, also there is some excellent sports touring tyres about these days, mileage may be a factor, or maybe the cost, maybe he just wants good grip in the wet when caught out, you don't "need" full sports tyres for normal road riding.

Permabanned
PILOT POWER 2CT this time on my old gsxr600k4 had bt014s then the triple compound bt016s previously but they still wear down too fast in the center- rear and sides on the front so tried the mitchelins on advice from my mechanic. done one trackday on em so far but didnt really push them too hard in the corners as im unsure what to expect from them to be honest, prolly done about 300 miles on the road in rain and sun. seems like more feedback from the front on these mitchelins.

Associate
OP
Thought I'd report back on these as I've now had a few chances to ride them in the wet.

1300 or so miles through France later and they still look nice and new, hit bad weather in them a couple of times both in France and here and the bike continued to feel totally secure on the road.

Back
Top Bottom