new small PC or PS4???

Soldato
Hello all,

While the kids are watching the main TV in the lounge I'm bored of watching their Disney Channel, so thought I'd have a very small gaming PC or a PS4 in the bedroom I don't have a lot of space to store it so it'll have to be around PS4 size, so my challenge to you guys is can you build me a small gaming PC for the same price as A PS4 around £350.

Key thing is size.

Soldato
Yep, size matters.

For £350 it depends what games you'll be playing, if a modern FPS such as battlefield 4 then I would go with a PS4 as a £350 PC won't cut it. But for something like minecraft a cheap PC would be fine.

Associate
I'll be honest as far as consoles currently go, the PS4 is not the best option. And I'm not a fan of any particular console, I look over under my monitor and see a WiiU, PS3 and X360 (the PC is still in parts, unbuilt), so my following thoughts are as good as unbiased. Currently the PS4 doesn't offer great games, especially for children (which I've assumed) as the current killer app games are Bloodborne and maybe the Last of Us. Little Big Planet 3 isn't as good as previous games in the series, and unfortunately the PS4 isn't backwards compatible. Same goes for XBONE, which only really has Halo MCC and you don't have to go far to find that games problems.

So my advice? Wait for E3 to see what new games come out on the PS4, if any to see if my previous statement changes. Get your kids an older system like the PS3 or X360, which have plenty of great kid-friendly games like LBP1/2, Ratchet and Clank, Viva Piniata and/or more mature games like MGS4, Gears of War, Halo. OR... grab your kids a WiiU. Games like Nintendo Land, Mario Kart 8, Zelda and Smash Bros can be enjoyed by all. I play those games with my younger brother (a teenager) who likes playing the same games as the rest of us (PC games and Xbox) and they are a great time. And the WiiU has games like Monster Hunter and Bayonetta for folks who want something a bit more mature.

As for a small gaming PC... good luck getting something for £350. An AMD APU will be the best bet, a dedicated graphics card is only worthwhile at price points above £90 for the GPU. Here's a video for an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv57qDXpEPU

Start with an AMD FX-8.

Apologies if my answer is unsatisfactory, let me know what you think.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the WiiU is the cheapest of the new consoles. More money to spend on games!

Soldato
OP
Better off scanning the MM for second hand parts if you want to run those sort of games for £350.

ok, so what is the kind of budget should I be looking at for a gaming PC, I guess I can up it seeing as all my games are on Steam so it'll save me needing to re buy them for a console.

Associate
Jeezo.

If a £350 based pc build can only play minecraft, how the hell are those appalling spec games consoles managing!

I would advise the OP to take much advice with a pinch of salt and Google budget gamjng PC's, while taking a look at the actual specifications of the gaming concoles and their graphics settings and resolution on a 720p to 1080p telly.

You will most likely find that if used in the same manner as a console a budget pc can play most games fine if not better with carefull selection of graphics settings and a 1080p tv.

Shop around for components daily and weekly deals, b grade etc. For instance the Fractal Core 1000 case is £15, I got a corsair 350w psu new for £18 and along with an Nvidia 750 mini gpu and old LGA 775 hardware I have a pc ghat will play many games on medium settings just as well as if not better than many consoles.

G3258 on an H81M motherboard with 4gb corsair memory does the job. Small hdd.

Soldato
Hmmm, for the budget something like:

bottom end i3, cheapest board, cheapest memory, 1TB hard drive and something like an AMD 270x with case+psu would come in around £420 without windows all new. Small amounts added would vastly improve the processor used.

Not sure you'd be able to do masses better than that but it would at least play everything you've listed (with a fair amount of bells and whistles turned off).

Second hand you'd get a lot more for your money and the market here is largely problem free (I've had 1 duff purchase in about 10 years).

Associate
How are consoles managing? The same way PS3 managed all these years, optimisation..

Yeah, thats my point, optimised with capped frame rates and low game settings at lower resolutions, exactly why most budget game PC's can actually manage just as good gameplay while at times offering more.
The fact is, it's a complete urine take to suggest that a budget gaming PC around £300-£400 will only play Minecraft when it will play the majority of game titles that are available for popular consoles just as well as the consoles do, quality which in console terms is usually medium settings at 720p with the minimum frame rates required for smooth gameplay.
A budget PC with an Nvidia 750 mini or most GPU's between £80 to £150 is perfectly capable of the majority of games at medium settings on a 1080p screen with playable frame rates too.

In fact, you could say the latest consoles are not managing, average game quality settings on 720p at 30fps and having to upscale lower resolutions to 1080p is pathetic considering the cost and previous console abilities.

When the 360 came out it had a relic of a GPU in it, sure optimising console games worked out well, but here we are in 2015 and the latest consoles are still budget GPU hardware with 720p specification and optimised game requirements.
All most GPU's for a budget gaming PC need is the settings to be tweaked on the game title, a bit more medium than high and most are fine. The majority of Xbox one and PS4 titles are 720p to 1080p (upscaled) at 30fps and medium graphics quality setting, which is usually no problem at all for a G3250 and £100 odd GPU. (Note the majority of 360 and PS3 titles were also 720 and 30fps)

The real problem is people read the magazines, read the forums and want the bling, and fall for the hype, there have been people looking for a PC for the odd Minecraft game, some old game titles and a bit of DVD encoding, who have ended up with advice on i7 with 970 type builds.

I was playing Crysis 3 on an LGA 775 E8500 and a 7950 without any issues on decent settings, and most actually manage to play games with a Pentium dual core and £100 odd GPU on a 1080p screen when it comes to main stream games on PC. It is why so many threads turned up on the internet when people found the bargain in a G3258, that ended up in £350 budget gaming builds that allowed them to play mainstream titles and games like Crysis 3 for the fraction of the cost of an i5 build with no great loss.

Good budget PC case Fractal Core 1000 £14
Adequate PSU ScanFX 500w £13
CPU G3258 £52
Motherboard AsrockH81M £32
Memory 2x2GB XMS3 1600 £29
HDD 500gb £32
GPU 2gb Asus GTX 750 mini £90
Optic drive £11

And it's all upgradeable, better PSU, better GPU or whatever if PC takes your fancy later on.

The latest consoles were appaling value, even as they drop in price most end up back on 360's etc, my lads float between the 360 and PC for gaming, prefering their budget PC's quality, but finding the console more convenient for playing with mates and enjoying the odd free game that happens every month with Xbox live which they need to pay a £5 each for every month IF they want to play some titles online anyway.

Not to mention the pricing of games, PC games are usually well discounted online, xbox 360 games are sweetie money in second hand in charity shops, online auctions etc.

The best consoles are still the 360 and PS3, the biggest thing they have going for them is convenience and cheap games.

Associate
Hello all,

While the kids are watching the main TV in the lounge I'm bored of watching their Disney Channel, so thought I'd have a very small gaming PC or a PS4 in the bedroom I don't have a lot of space to store it so it'll have to be around PS4 size, so my challenge to you guys is can you build me a small gaming PC for the same price as A PS4 around £350.

Key thing is size.

For that amount of money I would get a PS4. It will be able to play the latest games for longer imo. Plus if it is in your bedroom are you going to be at a desk or on your bed. If you are on your bed a controller is a lot more comfy than a M and K.

Soldato
this is the cheapest i could come up with on ocuk, and i have no idea what games would play like.. and doesnt include windows, the main components probably wont differ much anywhere else.. but you could save on cheap case and psu combo.. for a 2nd PC and your budget i would use the marketplace if you have access ,, or the "auction site", shop around i picked up a Brand New ASrock mobo for £15 inc P&P

i have used a avp gladius, they are cheap include a psu and have had one running an AMD A8 with a GTX 650 so you could drop the case and psu and save abit.. you also get it an HTPC format

** Not hotlinking images and especially competitor images **
YOUR BASKET
1 x MSI GeForce GTX 750 OC 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card (N750-1GD5/OC) £85.99
1 x Intel Pentium K Anniversary G3258 Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail £55.99
1 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 16MB Cache - OEM (ST500DM002) HDD £36.95
1 x MSI H81M-E34 Intel H81 (Socket 1150) DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard £35.99
1 x Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9) £32.99
1 x BeQuiet System Power 7 350W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply £32.99
1 x Aerocool Qs-180 Micro-ATX Chassis - Black £22.99
Total : £313.49 (includes shipping : £8.00 Ex.VAT).

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
You will have to shop around if you want good performance at this price.
I would recommend getting a second hand sandy bridge i5 to get good performance at this budget.
I went with a SG13 as its cheap and small but if you want something with a console form factor you will need a case like the Silverstone RVZ01.
Just note that cable management with this PSU in this case will not be easy.

i5 2400 around £70 used from an auction.
ASRock H61MV-IT £41
Asus Radeon R9 270 £90
Silverstone SG13 £37
EVGA 500W PSU £34
8GB RAM £38
1TB HDD £34
Total £344

This should play most games above PS4 performance levels.

In terms of GPU there are a few choices:
If your prepared to go used, a used 670 would give even more performance for around the same cost.
You might even be able to get a used 680 if you spend a little more.
If you want to buy new and can spare more money you can get a r9 280 for around £140.

Remember to take into account the savings from PC game prices.
If you send me a message I can send you some links.

Associate
If it needs to be slim like a console you could get a Silverstone Ml07 (£55).
You will need a SFX PSU for this, you could run a 270 from a Silverstone SST-ST30SF and there is an auction for one on now that you might be able to get for around £35. That would put the cost at around £363.

Otherwise I would change the GPU to a 750ti (£97) as doesn't need a PCI cable. I have a spare SFX 300W PSU I could sell you for it for £10. This would bring the cost to £338.

Otherwise, if you have more money you could get the 450W SFX PSU for £52.

Soldato

That doesn't detract from the point that console games are still optimised better than PC in most cases, with developers focusing on console usually. Look at the recent games some of which are failures on PC but work fine on console and others are downgraded such as The Witcher 3 so they can be played well on console. It's all about console I'm afraid and only a few developers are willing to put the time and effort in for PC, such as how Rockstar did with GTA V. I'd still go with a PS4 for £350 and I am not biased at all having both console and PC as gaming machines.

Associate
I Would get The PS4. Digital foundry has done a huge amount of analysis on the topic and concluded that an i3 + GTX 750 Ti combo is needed to mach PS4 performance. This would be above £350 not to mention upgrades over time, I think PC is more a way off having a better experience if you can drop the cash to achieve it.

Back
Top Bottom