New system after 8 years

Associate
Hello all,

I'm currently running an i5-3570k oc'd to 4.2ghz and i have to say it has been a rock over the past 8 years, the only thing I've done is to upgrade the graphics card to GTX970 a few years back.

It is now starting to creak a bit, expecially trying to run the likes of X-Plane 11 (or anything new), and i'm looking to the future with MSFS2020 as well.

So all that considered I'm currently looking at a pre-built machine like:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-pc-intel-core-i9-9900k-4.8ghz-fs-1d3-og.html

but probably with 32gb RAM and a 2080 super.

Is there anything you swap out or wholesale change? What would be a good monitor to go with it, I've only got an old 1080, so an upgrade there is on the cards.

Would it be better to build my own, I built my current machine, what worries me is the liquid cooling side of things that and I don't have a huge amount of spare time to build it.

Any advice or imput gratefullt received.

Andy

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply guys.

Do you think there's any mileage in going for an AMD 3950X or stick with the 3900X

Playing with configurators it looks like I can get a pretty juicey spec machine (pre-built) for about £2.5k.

If you were to self build what options parts do you think you'd go for that a prebuilt can't offer?

Cheers

Andy

Associate
OP
Thanks Orbitalwalsh and everyone else for your input.

I've come up with the below, which essentially swap the CPU to a 3900X, although I'm still wondering, if a 3800X and a 2080 super would suffice and go towards a nicer monitor. Also do I need to add case fans?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,439.81 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Associate
OP
Right I've had a (hopefully) final fettle with it all.

I've swapped the cooler to the Be Quiet one original suggested. I've also gone up a bit on the case to the Be Quiet! 700 Dark Base. Other than that I think I'm set. The Mrs has even given her nod of approval on the purchase!

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,496.81 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks again for all the help.

Associate
OP
So I've pulled the trigger and I have gone for pretty much as above with some minor tweeks:

The only thing I haven't got yet is the graphics card, I think I'm going to wait until the new Nvidia cards are launched and jump on them, I think I'd feel I sold myself short for not waiting a few months to get the right card. Saying that I might yet change my mind :D. There was a bit of budget creep but this machine will be for the long haul so has to last a while.

Thanks for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom