New system after 8 years

Associate
Hello all,

I'm currently running an i5-3570k oc'd to 4.2ghz and i have to say it has been a rock over the past 8 years, the only thing I've done is to upgrade the graphics card to GTX970 a few years back.

It is now starting to creak a bit, expecially trying to run the likes of X-Plane 11 (or anything new), and i'm looking to the future with MSFS2020 as well.

So all that considered I'm currently looking at a pre-built machine like:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...-pc-intel-core-i9-9900k-4.8ghz-fs-1d3-og.html

but probably with 32gb RAM and a 2080 super.

Is there anything you swap out or wholesale change? What would be a good monitor to go with it, I've only got an old 1080, so an upgrade there is on the cards.

Would it be better to build my own, I built my current machine, what worries me is the liquid cooling side of things that and I don't have a huge amount of spare time to build it.

Any advice or imput gratefullt received.

Andy

Soldato
If you want PC to last again that long forget Intel's yester-yesteryer's 8 cores... With who knows how many more vulnerabilities to bubble gum&duct tape fix in that Swiss cheese architecture.
Security of Intels is at this level:
https://youtu.be/FcWllalgUfo?t=2m28s
SGX was supposed to prevent literally anything, including the absolutely highest privilege code like OS kernel from reading memory protected by SGX...
https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/20...secrets-by-starving-your-computer-of-voltage/

Some time in fall/before Christmas next-gen consoles will bring that 8 cores/16 threads as mainstream.
With that as base level all heavier games will be made highly threaded.
And once multithreaded some of those things will scale to further core counts.
Also more than enough cores helps with web browser, voice chats etc on background.

Though AMD also gives multiple architectures per socket with next summer's Zen3 compatible with current motherboards after BIOS update.
Also price of yesteryear's models is actually lowered, so 12 and 16 core Zen3s might be well priced in late 21-winter 22.
Unlike Intel changing artificially sockets for same architecture just for the fun of making consumers pay more.

Ryzen 3700X/3800X would give 8 cores/16 threads at lot lower price than that Intel, while having real upgrade path.
12 core/24 thread Ryzen 3900X is also available at same price.

And that pre-built is typical pre-built also in elsewhere.
Only half TB SSD in £2000 luxury PC is somewhere between bad joke and insult.
1TB SSD is minimum at lot lower price level.
Also similar to Intel Samsung is overpriced brand and other drives are lot better priced.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/teamgroup-mp34-1tb-nvme-pcie-m.2-solid-state-drive-hd-00b-tg.html

And already 750W PSU is more than enough.
Would have to be extremely high end gaming PC to reach 400W power draw.
In fact typical high end gaming PC has power draw below 350W.
IF wanting high end this would be absolute top level PSU in performance and comes with 12 year warranty.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/seas...-titanium-modular-power-supply-ca-06l-ss.html

By avoiding fashion/marketing hype brands and parts it's easy to get better return for money.

What should be really called as waterpipe coolers are another such product.
Waterpipes in place of heatpipes don't make heat disappear anywhere and all that heat has to be dissipated into air.
And typical slim radiator simply doesn't have excess of surface area.
In fact only few waterpipe coolers can beat the best heatpipe coolers in continuous cooling per noise.
Even sub £50 heatpipe coolers beat average waterpipe coolers in that.

While having nothing to fail and even with worn out fan they still have some cooling power.
Again the worst case failure of waterpipe cooler means burnt PC parts from leaked coolant and they have multiple degradation/wear mechanisms eventually causing total loss of cooling power.
If you want minimum hassle and maintenance cooling, just forget those.
And save also money to where it actually does something.

Also building yourself allows reusing parts.
For example good case doesn't get old.
(mine is 11½ years old)

On monitor side 2560x1440 is the sweet spot and will stay as that for some time.
3840x2160's 125% higher pixel count per frame is extremely demanding and in the heaviest games even the most overpriced graphics card struggle to do 60fps without dropping settings.
Next-gen consoles will no doubt also increase GPU demands of games in average.
And raytracing is/will be another "drag".

In fact it's now historically bad time to buy expensive graphics card.
For some years Nvidia has been focusing into pumping up consumers' butts... err prices and above £500 performance per price goes to bad and worser.
While marketing "forgets" to tell that use of raytracing makes performance crash down like MCAS 737 MAX with 30-50% drop in framerate.
That makes very expensive card give low mainstream price class framerates.
If you want long lasting graphics card, time to buy that will be in fall with new GPU generations out and hopefully similar competition to CPUs.
Wouldn't wonder if we'll get better raytracing cards at half the price.

In monitors depending on usage environment different panel types have advantages over others.
For example if you like dark room, VA panel's give the best image with their vastly superior contrast/black level compared to other panels.
But their response times fall behind other LCD types and especially certain transitions are very "challenging".
IPS has better and especially lot more consistent response times with some panels even competing with TNs.
Also overall colour/brightness stability is the best of all LCDs.
But their contrast is at best average compared to VA, so they need decently illuminated environment to be at their best.

Also 32" size has very few IPSes, if you want good size monitor for immersion.
And so far CES doesn't seem to bring out new ones.

Soldato
Sims still go by few core count and Higher Core speed , so most Pro Sims are Intel - regardless of pricing or intel vs amd chips or intel Vulnerabilities as for most Home end PC users, hardly makes a difference .

MSF2020 will hopefully peg Multicore CPUs in higher favour and this is were AMD gets to strut its stuff in Flight Sim Games finally ! X-Plane wasnt meant to have Vulcan Patch but still no roll out yet .

Having said Intel is still king with Sim games, would side with AMD for the fact MS is using DX12 in their new one - and funds can be put to ram and GPU! more VRAM the better !!! X-Plane can be a HUGE hog if your like to have as much settings and tweaks running.

would prefer to run wide screen if Flight Sims are your bread and butter - and as mentioned above, higher the frame rate, the more equal fielding AMD have with Intel .

and def build your own

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply guys.

Do you think there's any mileage in going for an AMD 3950X or stick with the 3900X

Playing with configurators it looks like I can get a pretty juicey spec machine (pre-built) for about £2.5k.

If you were to self build what options parts do you think you'd go for that a prebuilt can't offer?

Cheers

Andy

Soldato
Thanks for the reply guys.

Do you think there's any mileage in going for an AMD 3950X or stick with the 3900X

Playing with configurators it looks like I can get a pretty juicey spec machine (pre-built) for about £2.5k.

If you were to self build what options parts do you think you'd go for that a prebuilt can't offer?

Cheers

Andy

Personally would go with 3700 8 cores, then Push up to Zen3 end of this year or beginning of Next Year with increased speed and Core performance . Seriously into Flight sims more then best GPU you can get and wide Screen set up ! (Coding Multithreaded games is a mission , even with Win10 having such a high roll out, games on DX11 with perfect dual core coding out stripes those that can use 8 cores perfectly . Hopefully will improve , but now you've got Intel and AMD pushing high IPC and Core speed - not worth the huge amount of time. Workstation wise core count rules the roost )

Custom built yourself you can get it to the style and sound quality you like - i.e dropping £20 per fan with Silent Wing 3's for max performance and lowest sound possible etc

sure for extra £200 to bring it up to 2.5k OCUK can build and install windows if you wouldnt like to build

ODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,296.81 (includes shipping: £15.90)​

Soldato
Is there anything you swap out or wholesale change? What would be a good monitor to go with it, I've only got an old 1080, so an upgrade there is on the cards.

@orbitalwalsh has given an excellent PC build, so I'll just suggest a high refresh 4K or 3440x1440 UW monitor:

Total: £3,063.46 (includes shipping: £33.54)​

Soldato

you'll have to try Samsungs G7/9 new ultra wide monitors... trying to get them to do rolling Demo's across UK . insane specially for Flightsims ... if you've got the GPU muscle

Soldato
Custom built yourself you can get it to the style and sound quality you like - i.e dropping £20 per fan with Silent Wing 3's for max performance and lowest sound possible etc

Doubt Silent Wings are even remotely worth their price over Arctic P12 and P14
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p12-pwm-pst-black-fan-120mm-fg-04h-ar.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/arctic-cooling-p14-pwm-pst-black-fan-140mm-fg-04k-ar.html

Corsair MP510 is now somewhat pricy with TeampGroup MP34 being £10 cheaper and Gigabyte £20 cheaper.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/teamgroup-mp34-1tb-nvme-pcie-m.2-solid-state-drive-hd-00b-tg.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-1tb-m.2-pcie-x4-nvme-ssd-solid-state-drive-hd-00g-gi.html
And then there's WD Blue for £25 less.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html
Highly doubtfull that there would be any detectable game loading time differences.

And highest level cooler isn't really needed for Ryzens with £20 easily saved.
Though this could use replacing its really low speed fans with one Arctic P12.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/scythe-scmg-5pcgh-mugen-5-pcgh-edition-cpu-cooler-hs-047-sy.html

Soldato
@EsaT , comment was about building yourself, you can have it exactly to your tastes .
I haven't listed SW3 in build as not needed with P600s .

And it's night a day between p12 and SW3 . 23db at at Vs 16db (with every increase in dB is double the sound ) . For someone like myself were PC was by a cotbed and then now with a child with autism that's sensitive to sound - it's critical to myself but for others it's not .
(Bye bye air cooled Aorus with no air supply )

For a standard build though for 90% of people those are damn nice fans , prob good replacements for fans in p600s case although defaults aren't to bad .
All up to end user and requirements.

Team group is a very good shout and slightly cheaper :)

Associate
OP
Thanks Orbitalwalsh and everyone else for your input.

I've come up with the below, which essentially swap the CPU to a 3900X, although I'm still wondering, if a 3800X and a 2080 super would suffice and go towards a nicer monitor. Also do I need to add case fans?

Total: £2,439.81 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Soldato
^^ that is power.
I'm biased for the P600s case as it's just stunning and offers multiple levels of silence and style.

Might be worth checking out antecs P120 crystal though ! Another beauty that's quite cheap for what it is !!!

Might save some cash, specially if you can get CL down a level or set speed to 3400hz . Should fit with cooler....

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/patr...dual-channel-kit-pvs432g320c6k-my-106-pa.html

Associate
OP
Right I've had a (hopefully) final fettle with it all.

I've swapped the cooler to the Be Quiet one original suggested. I've also gone up a bit on the case to the Be Quiet! 700 Dark Base. Other than that I think I'm set. The Mrs has even given her nod of approval on the purchase!

Total: £2,496.81 (includes shipping: £15.90)

Is there anything I'm missing?

Thanks again for all the help.

Associate
OP
So I've pulled the trigger and I have gone for pretty much as above with some minor tweeks:

The only thing I haven't got yet is the graphics card, I think I'm going to wait until the new Nvidia cards are launched and jump on them, I think I'd feel I sold myself short for not waiting a few months to get the right card. Saying that I might yet change my mind :D. There was a bit of budget creep but this machine will be for the long haul so has to last a while.

Thanks for all the help.

Soldato
So I've pulled the trigger and I have gone for pretty much as above with some minor tweeks:

The only thing I haven't got yet is the graphics card, I think I'm going to wait until the new Nvidia cards are launched and jump on them, I think I'd feel I sold myself short for not waiting a few months to get the right card. Saying that I might yet change my mind :D. There was a bit of budget creep but this machine will be for the long haul so has to last a while.

Thanks for all the help.

get some snaps up! waiting for the GPU will be the Hard bit !!!!

Back
Top Bottom