• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New to AMD - AGESA & BIOS

Soldato
I've just purchased an AMD 7700 and Asus TUF Gaming X670E-Plus motherboard. It's a test / backup system (I have a 13700k system) but may get promoted in the fullness of time. But I find myself lacking in knowledge of AGESA and BIOS updates. Looking on the board's website I see a beta BIOS update but I read elsewhere of AGESA updates. So, while the system is up and running so I don't actually need to do anything, should I decide to update, what should I do?

Associate
As I understand it, the AGESA is just AMD's part of the BIOS. I've never seen anywhere to separately update it - the motherboard manufacturer will include newer versions of the AGESA with newer versions of their BIOS.

My general rule with BIOS updates is unless there's a fix you need, don't update. If AMD issue a new AGESA to fix some problem, you need to wait until the manufacturer includes that version into a BIOS update for your motherboard.

If you do need to update put the BIOS file onto a USB stick and update it through the BIOS itself, never through a Windows tool.

Soldato
I tend to think of it
If the update specifies a new agesa
It's a major update
No agesa specified in the update as minor
But yeah AMD supply the agesa part
The rest the board manufacturers supply
So it's possible your board has bios updates
That do not include agesa update

Man of Honour
If the board has an old BIOS, then I'd be inclined to update it at least once, to make you better protected from the excessive XMP/EXPO voltage issue (though if you're running stock, then I wouldn't bother).

Soldato
You don’t need to update if everything is working as it should. If you plan pushing voltages and tweaking things and working the system pretty hard then I would update.

Soldato
OP
Funnily enough, apart from DOCP and ReBAR there wasn't anything to check. I'm still on the stock cooler (Wraith Spire) for testing purposes. I've found that so far the AMD CPU is giving only modestly higher maximum and average framerates with my A770 than my 8700 (4k, medium settings) but significantly higher minimum frame rates.

Back
Top Bottom