New to DC.. How can I help?

Soldato
Give it a while... it'll probably take a few % before it gives an ETA, and those particular units tend to take at least half an hour to do 1%.

Soldato
Each console will only do one unit, so if you start another console it'll start another unit. It'd be better for your points to start another one though... there's nothing wrong with doing two units at the same time, and you get twice the output :)

Man of Honour
Soldato
If you open a (new) console it will be just like when you started the second one, you'll have to config and all that. If you open up fah502-console.exe while the service for that executable is running it will not work.

Why do you ask? What do you have in mind? If you want to see what it's up to you can take a peek in the fahlog.txt that corresponds to each installation.

EDIT:
Mattus said:
Each console will only do one unit, so if you start another console it'll start another unit. It'd be better for your points to start another one though... there's nothing wrong with doing two units at the same time, and you get twice the output :)

Mind you, if you've already got 2 installations for your 2 processors you need not start more. I suppose you could run 4 but each would run at half speed. Nobody wants that. Never run more clients than you have (virtual) processors.

Last edited:
Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
Mind you, if you've already got 2 installations for your 2 processors you need not start more. I suppose you could run 4 but each would run at half speed. Nobody wants that. Never run more clients than you have (virtual) processors.

Yup, sorry, I probably screwed up that explanation... I meant that if your CPU usage is 50%, then you're only running one client and running another one is a good thing. If you already have a second client installed then it just needs configuring as a service.

As Billy says though don't run more than 2, one on each CPU... that's a bad thing. I've tried it before and it doesn't have a performance benefit, it just delays the return of each WU to Stanford and wastes more RAM.

Associate
Mattus said:
It's true. The BOINC projects seem to have one scheduler and one source of work data - if it goes down you're stuffed. But F@H has two assignment servers (foldy-speak for scheduler) and dozens of different work servers for redundancy.

Like Rich said though, it is your choice :)

Well, it's true that each BOINC project (currently) has only one server, but there are many BOINC projects each with one server, so there's always something to do.

That said, I run BOINC (99.999% SETI) with an 8 day work cache, and have never ever run out of SETI work to do, even when the server was out for around a week.

BOINC has come of age, and it's ready for prime-time use.

On top of that, the BOINC version of Folding is in Beta, so hopefully soon, the Worlds Finest Team will have all it's credits back where they belong in one place - somewhere way ahead of the Germans ;)

Back
Top Bottom