1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to DC.. How can I help?

Discussion in 'Team OcUK Distributed Computing Projects' started by Admiral Huddy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Admiral Huddy

Don

horaa project 1150 gromacs showing - 600 points available..

0% no eta ?

i suppose i'm on my way.

2. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

Give it at least 2 hours. That's a big unit and might take a week or more to crunch on a slower machine. After a few percent you'll have a prediction.

Just as long as you're running at 100% (or 50% as the case might be) you're doing fine.

3. Mattus

Capodecina

Give it a while... it'll probably take a few % before it gives an ETA, and those particular units tend to take at least half an hour to do 1%.

4. Admiral Huddy

Don

superb - i guess it's only running at 50% because i have dualcore.

If i activate another console.. will that help the same unit or will it start another?

Sorry for the 4000 questions again.

:o

5. Mattus

Capodecina

Each console will only do one unit, so if you start another console it'll start another unit. It'd be better for your points to start another one though... there's nothing wrong with doing two units at the same time, and you get twice the output :)

6. BillytheImpaler

Man of Honour

If you open a (new) console it will be just like when you started the second one, you'll have to config and all that. If you open up fah502-console.exe while the service for that executable is running it will not work.

Why do you ask? What do you have in mind? If you want to see what it's up to you can take a peek in the fahlog.txt that corresponds to each installation.

EDIT:
    Mind you, if you've already got 2 installations for your 2 processors you need not start more. I suppose you could run 4 but each would run at half speed. Nobody wants that. Never run more clients than you have (virtual) processors.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  7. Mattus

Capodecina

Yup, sorry, I probably screwed up that explanation... I meant that if your CPU usage is 50%, then you're only running one client and running another one is a good thing. If you already have a second client installed then it just needs configuring as a service.

As Billy says though don't run more than 2, one on each CPU... that's a bad thing. I've tried it before and it doesn't have a performance benefit, it just delays the return of each WU to Stanford and wastes more RAM.

8. Admiral Huddy

Don

2% so i'm happy now things are moving.

Once again thanks

9. Admiral Huddy

Don

got my first WU completed yesterday - 600 Points.. I know have dual consoles taking advantages of my 4400+ :)

10. Stan_Lite

Man of Honour

Well done that man :cool:

You have 651 points now, you must have done a 51 point tiddler since the 600 pointer.

Welcome to the team, buddy :)

Stan :)

11. rich99million

Sgarrista

very nicely timed for maximum stompage in next week's news too :D

welcome to the team - i hope you enjoy the project as much as i do :)

also great work on the help and advice guys :cool:

12. MikeSW17

Hitman

Well, it's true that each BOINC project (currently) has only one server, but there are many BOINC projects each with one server, so there's always something to do.

That said, I run BOINC (99.999% SETI) with an 8 day work cache, and have never ever run out of SETI work to do, even when the server was out for around a week.

BOINC has come of age, and it's ready for prime-time use.

On top of that, the BOINC version of Folding is in Beta, so hopefully soon, the Worlds Finest Team will have all it's credits back where they belong in one place - somewhere way ahead of the Germans ;)