New to rowing machines...

Caporegime
Adam W said:
I hope that is a joke. Pinsent and redgrave will only have it on 4-6, or drag factor 134 to replicate water.

whats the equivalent drag factor for level 10?

most gym goers dont give a damn about replicating water as they will never be in the water, so dont need it to feel like water.

Soldato
Morba said:
whats the equivalent drag factor for level 10?

most gym goers dont give a damn about replicating water as they will never be in the water, so dont need it to feel like water.

We have some new rowers in the gym that actually contain water, (you have probably seen them) which are supposed to be realistic in terms of resistance. I've been on them once, the resistance is a lot lower than you would expect......straight back to 10 on the concept II!

Caporegime
Nazbit said:
We have some new rowers in the gym that actually contain water, (you have probably seen them) which are supposed to be realistic in terms of resistance. I've been on them once, the resistance is a lot lower than you would expect......straight back to 10 on the concept II!

wow, no have not seen them. will have a look online :D

Soldato
Morba said:
wow, no have not seen them. will have a look online :D

Just done a quick google.

http://www.waterrower.com/en/natural_series.htm

I would say that the water offered the same resistance as about level 4 on a concept II.

I suppose they might be good for people who are training for proper rowing (in a boat) as its the perfect resistance simulator, but for me it does nothing. Concept II is much more useful for my goals.

Soldato
Knocked another 5seconds off my best 2k time tonight :D Down to 8min 14sec. Had the resistance a bit lower than I like too so should have done better.

Can definately see sub 8mins in the next 2 or 3 weeks :)

My mate did his first sub 20min 5k as well. 19min 34sec I think, no chance I could even complete 5k I reakon :o

P.S - It's a Concept II which I use by the looks of it, anyone else find the straps annoyingly work loose.

Soldato
There is a calibration option somewhere in the menu on concept 2s that will tell you what the drag factor is. It will vary from machine to machine even if the lever is on the same setting due to levels of wear and tear, dust build up in the fan etc. Oh and water rowers suck :p

Soldato
Rowing machines hurt. I don't think I could do 2k in under 8 mins anymore, but the fastest I've done is about 7:40. 5k in just under 20 mins is probably the best I've ever done on a rower. I should probably get back on them really.

Associate
I bought a Concept 2 about 3 years ago (model c) and my intial goal was to do 5K in 20 mins. Once i achieved that i went for 10K in 40mins then yep you guessed it 15K in an hour.
When at the gym i set it to max resistance and do a sub 20mins 5K as a warm up. (keeps the maths easy - 2min splits)
Being tall with long levers is a good advantage on this machine.

I wish i had a pound for everytime i have finished a session and fell off the machine sideways in a puddle sweat. Great piece of kit, well worth the investment.

T

Consigliere
OP
Random question. Now, how does the rowing machine measure the distance? Does it matter if i only complete small strokes or would i get a longer distance if i pull all the way back and all the way forward?

Soldato
SideWinder said:
Random question. Now, how does the rowing machine measure the distance? Does it matter if i only complete small strokes or would i get a longer distance if i pull all the way back and all the way forward?

Its the distance you would have traveled based on the force you are putting in to the machine. (as if it were a boat)

Basically you want long strokes, so you get as much movement from each stroke as possible. This makes for much more efficient excersise.

Consigliere
OP
Nazbit said:
Its the distance you would have traveled based on the force you are putting in to the machine. (as if it were a boat)

Basically you want long strokes, so you get as much movement from each stroke as possible. This makes for much more efficient excersise.

Ah ha. Okay thanks. :)

Soldato
andr3w said:
I do 500m in about 2minutes 10seconds, i managed to do 2KM in about 9 minutes wooop \o/

lol more training needed.

Im unfit and am off for another shoulder op in a few weeks so im gonna be well away from my beloved model D for a while. Last 500m piece i did was 1:35 at the beginning of the uni year, and 7:35 for a 2k. pretty crap but considering ive had 3 years of uni with no exercise and was recovering from a shoulder op bout 10 months before i was pretty happy.

concept 2 model d's are stunning !

o and only fools use the 10 setting. That equates to rowing a tanker (hard to get going but has more momentum), setting 1 is like rowing a single skull. Depending on the condition of the machine drag settings will vary, but 4-5 is regarded as the norm.

Last edited:
Associate
I need to put in a decent 5k time to get a seat in my uni's boat. Not to keen on them as i cant walk for about a week afterwards. could do a low 7min for 2k befor christmas, would struggle to to get below 8min after my xmas antics.
The most annoying thing about rowing machines is watching people on them with very poor technique, it just pains me.

Associate
There were a few pages in mens health a couple of months back that gave you a step by step 'how to row properly', was pretty good I do 10mins on the concept before my workout (on 10), prefer it to the tread mill.

Back
Top Bottom