New TV advice, is there much difference between 50 hz or 100 hz

Associate
Looking to get a new TV,

Iv got a TV mind Sony KDL40CX523 - £469 - 20% staff discount (sainsburys) - £100 cash back from Sony so will only cost me around £277

The tv is only 50 hz, is there much of a difference between a 50 hz & a 100 hz?

I wont be playing games on the TV, but I will be watching lots of films & sports on there.

So do you think a 50hz TV would be ok or would there be a much bigger improvement with a 100hz TV?

I could spend around £400 with staff discount & dont have to worry about any cash back deals. So could any one see a better TV on the sainsburys website, or is the one I said the best one on there for the price range.

Caporegime
the TVs are not 100hz at all

its a marketing gimmeck for processing technologies built into the TV to smooth out fast movement.

But on cheap <£500 TVs they are never worth it and usually best turned off. Base your decision upon the reviews a set gets, and not the features as many features a TV boasts are either plain wrong (mistake by the retailer) inflated (the marketing and PR department of the manufacturer) or just plain not worth it.

Associate
Agreed about the 100hz - better sticking to 50hz on these budget TV's.

Having owned last years version of this tv I can assure you for that cash you are getting a top bargain and I doubt you will have any problem with motion blur even on fast moving sports (but every individual varies so best demoing the tv instore to make sure). I am quite susceptible to it myself but was surprised how good the 50hz processing was.

Only major drawback to this TV is a high input lag (which won't bother you since you aren't gaming).:D

Soldato
As long as the TV supports native 24 Hz, 50 Hz and 60 Hz (or multiples thereof), it should be fine for all sources (TV, BD, games consoles). That model does but as others have said, turn off all the gimmicky options and "enhancements" for best picture quality.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your advice guys, think il have to take a special trip in to work this week end for the TV lol. - The reviews of the TV seam very good

But as for the gaming there would be a very small chance of using a Wii on there as the mrs's said has now said she wants one for xmas but she has never been a gamer before so I dont think she will really notice any lag - well I hope not lol

Back
Top Bottom