New TV recommendations please

Associate
As the thread title, am looking for a new TV. Budget is about £1000 (we can go a little higher, but ideally would like to keep it at this).

Okay our viewing/habits are very varied to be honest. We do use it for gaming (PS4 & PS3) and daytime TV viewing. The wife watches a lot of programs still in normal definition, soaps etc. I watch a lot of sports (football, rugby & Motorsport) and watch a lot of films.

Viewing distance is about 15 foot. Not sure at the moment as to whether I am going to wall mount the TV or keep it on its pedestal stand. Obviously during the day it is fairly bright in the room, at night I do like to watch the TV with the lights off.

We had a Panasonic plasma about 7 years ago. I was disappointed in it, it only lasted 2 years before it broke (started to turn itself off at random times, then eventually refused to show any picture), and it was about £1800 back then - I can't remember a model number. We currently have a LG LCD 42". We have had it for 5 years and to be honest has been really good. However it does look dated now. I want to put this up in my boys room for them.

I have no real preference over plasma/LED etc. I guess if I was pushed I would really like to get a plasma again, but not sure at this price point if plasma is the best option.

Thanks.

Soldato
If you're serious about gaming the Sony Bravia KDL40W905 is considered to have very low input lag, a great picture, and can be had for £1099

Gets my vote too. Best tv around for gaming at the mo and is great for movies too. I have it's bigger brother and of all the tv I've owned over the years - which is many, both plasma and led, as I'm stupidly fussy and send them back all the time! - this is the one I've been most content with. If you do go for one I suggest you go with John Lewis. Not just for the warranty, but also because of their excellent returns policy. My first W9 had more backlight clouding than I was happy to put up with and they replaced it with one that's as good as LEds get in this regard. They said they would keep swapping them until an acceptable panel was found.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice guys.

Must admit I have not looked at any of the Sony range, have stuck more to looking at Panasonics and Sumsungs really.

What is the picture quality of the Sony like? As I said I have been quite happy with our LG, but one thing I did/have noticed about it is when you are watching something, and I particularly notice it on blu-rays or any HD movie, is you can see kind of a bluring around the outside edges of people for example. Not sure how else to describe it.

Soldato
What is the picture quality of the Sony like?

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-w90-kdl-40w905a-3d-led-lcd-tv-review.434

It's very good. Once you've corrected the out the box shop settings it has a very plasma, film-like image without any of the plasma nasties, and it does very well in the areas LEDs traditionally have issues. I've had a string of panasonic plasmas, various LEDs and projectors, and this is one of the best images I've seen. And just to repeat myself - it is the best gaming panel around at the mo. I wouldn't trade it for anything that wasn't an OLED :)

Back
Top Bottom