New UPVC window and lintel

Soldato
We had new windows quite a while back but at that time it wasn't law for window fitters to fit a lintel as well.
I am now in process of having new windows fitted at front because the bricks above the window are dropping and one window also leaks water in when it rains from south with a strong wind.

has anyone had this done and if so what did the fitters actually do - did they put the membrain up inner wall and over the lintel and put water drips in. From what I have seen on Youtube if they don't do that then it's a waste of time

You can't get a straight answer from anyone these days. - salesman to measurer uppa to fitters but I won't know how the fitters do it untill they turn up.

ps-I could get a brickie in first to do the lintel then get windows fitted which was my first option and keep windows but I fancied argon filled and better insulated frames -it is the most lived in room during the day.

I have been reamed so many time I am keeping my back to the wall now.

Associate
tbh we had windows years ago and didnt realise anything about lintels ...we were young :) about 5 years ago we had same problems you describe even to the point of noticing the upvc window was bowing in the front large bedroom. at the time a major window company did the fit and you sort of accept they know what to do.
in the end as said about 5 years ago we had to have a builder remove the front large bay window and both upstairs windows and then remove virtually the whole of the front outer layer bricks, (scaffolding up for weeks) they relaid them and fitted lintels with membranes and although they reused the bay theu had to fit new upper windows. cost about 4k.

however after about 3 years we noticed a leak in the upper room and tracked it down to......loose bricks which i managed to reseat a couple that were marginal and seal. the water may have been from a leak at the edge of the roof , but touch wood as getting any trade is very very hard at the moment.

the one thing we learned was dont put off remedial work , it only gets worse so do it as quick as you can it will save more damage and money long term.

ps 1930s detatched with soldiers above frames.....

i should add the bricks were loose about 5 courses above where the old bricks had been relaid, i guess in hindsight they should have done everything but it is the apex (or eave) so very high and suppose they were sell supporting....

IIRC this was a real issue when replacement windows switched from Aluminium to PVC
The old windows (wood) were strutural. Replacement Aluminium were also, but the early PVC ones were not, so people had these sorts of issue, the wall above the windows in effect being unsupported (or only partially supported)
I believe now any windows that need to be structural incorporate steel so that they can support the weight.

Soldato
OP
This has come back to kick me up the backside - Had all windows changed when we bought the place not realising there wasn't any lintels.

Over the years I could see the cracks in motar and then rain leaking through - I thought they would outlast me but fortunaty/unfortunately I am now landed with the bill.
What is worrying me is are the fitters capable of doing the job right or will they bodge it.
Being as it's a big company I hope they do a good job. :rolleyes:

Associate
It sounds like an insurance job if I am honest.
in fairness try but our insurance insisted it was subsidance and sent a guy out to test......que 12 months later after having him come and attach strips on the walls every month ...nope not subsidance and still not covered so the damage still had to be paid for grrrrrr by the way originally steel/alloy metal frames in wood replaced by that large company with the himilayan name with upvc. wouldnt trust a dg company to do brickwork (maybe patch it up)

Associate
My auntie came accross the same kind of issue whens he ordered a new window to be fitted to replace a wooden one. Turned out there was no lintel, and so the window company refused to fit it on the install day until one was put in place. They happily came back at a later date when one was fitted though. She used a local brickie for the lintel install, which is what I would do in your place.

Back
Top Bottom