New Video & Photo Editing PC

Associate
Goal
New PC to support digital post-processing - Lightroom
Plus Video editing - currently Sony Movie Studio but will be Davinci (old PC could not run this at 4k)

Some pre-requsites
Case must be able to have an optical drive fitted (many do not allow)
Want an AMD R9 processor as far better than Intel on Video editing

Forum Discussion
Advice was leading me to using ASRock B650 Taichi lite motherboard, however for less cost I could get the X670 Auros Master, which has 4 M.2 slots and 2 of these are PCIe-5.0 .... so went that route
Over specd the PSU to give long term relaibity - went for 1050W ... 850W 'could' have been used.

It's alive ....
After many asks & changes I settled on and have built the following:

CPU - AMD R9 7900X
Motherboard - Gigabyte X670E Auros Master
Cooler - Thermaright Phantom Spirit
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR5-6000 CL30 EXPO
Storage - 2 x M.2 2TB Corsair PCIe 5.0 drives
GPU - Gigabyte Gaming Radeon RX7800 XT - 16GB
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - 1050W
Case - Fractal Design Define 7

Along the way problems:
I had bought a WD_Black 4TB M.2 to use for media storage ... after much testing (and even a change of Motherboard) found it could not work in slot B of the Motherboard so I eventually swapped to a second Crucial T700
I had originally bought an Artic Liquid Freezer III 360, it was not compatible with Motherboard heatsinks plus the blocked Optical drive from being fitted - the primary reason for Define 7 case. - so changed to aThermalRight Phantom Spirit .... a beast of an air cooler.

Performance (GeekBench6)
CPU
Previous PC single core 698 multicore 2110
New PC single core 2957 multicore 17320

GPU
Previous PC 11839
New PC 146012

Not sure how this ranks in terms of performance, but certainly quicker than previous PC

Things yet to do

Decide on cooling .... has 2 x 140mm ingress fans front of case
has 1 x 140mm egress fan on rear of case
has psu ingress fan underneath case
has 3 x fans on GPU
has 2 x fans on CPU
Do I need another degree fan - unsure yet
I also have 2 x thermocouple probes that come with Motherboard - so need to decide what to monitor

Additional Drive
Add Optical DVD/BluRay drive to case (will take one from old PC)

Backup Consideration
I currently use a 2 x 1TB NAS but over Ethernet it is painfully slow.
I could repurpose the 2 x 1TB drives into the new PC and create a backup RAID set ... but not ideal having backups in same case.
Maybe I'll look at a USB4 external set up of some form (or even 2.5GB LAN)

Monitor
Currently using a pair of Dell P2422H HD monitors, I'll need to get a 4k 144Hz monitor

Last edited:
For backup, I'd always go with something on-site (offline or networked) and something off-site. Right now I use cheap 1tb m.2 drives in USB enclosures and a hdd archive.

Have you looked at Backblaze?

Monitor wise, what are you going to use to calibrate, and would you not be better off with something that gives better colour fidelity, or is that less of an issue with video editing than photos?

I have not decided on what monitor yet .. but know a 27" 4k 100Hz would be my goal, 144Hz if possible.
it will be photo editing & video .... so want to get something suitable.
I'd like to have a calibrated colorimeter, but not going to happen, I'm not a professional photographer, so too expensive.
Output is for me so I'm happy using test patterns and manual adjustments.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom