New Website Advice

Associate
Hi All

Looking to design a new website for my other half's company (accountant) Im happy to give this a go myself but would like to use some sort of "what you see is what you get" software. Im certainly no programmer. I know how to host it point domains etc. But somthing like WIX looks so simple and the websites look great.

Do i go WIX? or similar?

Invest in some software thats similar? any suggestions?

In the future she would like a client login portal to share documents and clients upload documents.

Any suggestions welcome

Soldato
Grab a HTML template. While wix is great it's still a pre packaged solution there's not really any way to customise it fully.

If you go the HTML template route you'll have a wider selection and you can customise to your hearts content afterwards(within your or whoever you hires ability).

You will loose out on the drag and drop interface for customising with the majority of them but its idiotically simple to use a text editor ctrl + f the bit you want to change(text/colour), save and refresh the browser to see what you think. Most of the themes I see recently are designed in blocks so if you want to add a contact form you just copy paste the contact form block into your body.

Personally I would go and grab a template off a theme selling site. It would be more unique and more customisable long term(assuming you keep the theme when you upgrade with file sharing etc).

Associate
Work as a web dev so might be able to point you in the right direction!

People often start out looking for websites because "we need a website". Most important is to think about what you want the website to do, who you want to visit it, and what action you want them to take. If you plan from the start that you want users like X who are likely searching for Y, and when they get to the site you want them to do Z you'll end up getting much better results. A large part of the reason that bespoke websites cost a lot is because of the user analysis that goes on way before any code is written, so definitely think about this before you start as it will determine everything from page layouts to what keywords you need in titles and content.

Wix works okay, but we get a fair few clients who come to us having tried to set something similar up themselves and finding that it either looks nothing like the demo sites they show you or doesn't end up getting the results they want. Worth a try, but very basic and if you put in a little effort you can achieve much better results for not much more price wise.

Mynight's HTML template suggestion is a good one if you're up for a little reading/trial and error, but I've also seen a people make a hash of this too. Often it's browser and device compatibility that catches people out here, so if you do go down this route be sure to check on as many device/browser combos as possible. You'll have more control over search engine optimisation etc., but editing content later would mean updating code. Not generally a problem if you're always going to be on hand, but may be tricky to hand over to your other half completely if they don't fancy the learning curve.

The other end of the scale would be to see if there are any web dev companies that offer template based startup websites - we offer a five page package where we take your content and whack it in a pre-built website and change logos/colours etc. to match your branding. Chances are the website hasn't been designed specifically with your target audience in mind, but you do get the comfort of knowing that it's been designed and tested by professionals. Where I work, these templates usually come about when someone has commissioned a bespoke website and then cancelled the project half way through - so although they're a lot cheaper than getting something made bespoke, you still get all the benefits like carefully thought out SEO and a content management system to update the site at a later date. These tend to be around £800 (near us at least). Probably not the best solution in this case, but worth keeping that figure in mind if you're signing up to any sort of monthly site builder or buying themes etc.

I'd probably suggest looking at Wordpress - find yourself a nice theme on themeforest and spend a while learning to customise it. There's shedloads of free tutorials about to get you started, and would be dead easy for your other half to update later on if they need. I'd recommend finding a theme that included Visual Composer (page builder) and Slider Revolution. I reckon this is the best middle ground here just because someone else (hopefully a professional) has written the code and worried about things like device/browser compatibility, but you still get far more control over page layouts than you would with a template.

Hope some of that is useful - apologies for the wall of text!

Associate
OP
Work as a web dev so might be able to point you in the right direction!

Hope some of that is useful - apologies for the wall of text!

Thank you for the very informative post, I will take a look into wordpress and see what i can figure out. I dont mind investing a bit of time as the website does not need to go live until January really.

my only concern with something like wordpress is if doing a client login how is the security handled? Am i responsible for updating the security patches/updates? I have considered hiring a consultant to get me going but telling them that i want to manage the site myself in future for speed etc.

Soldato
You will be responsible for it. There will be plugins available for client logins I would suggest choosing a well reviewed paid one (still a gamble but a fair few free ones seem to getting bought and not so nice code added to them). There may be companies that would keep you up to date as part of the hosting package but when it's literally a one click upgrade it hardly seems worth the cost. Sign up to the mailing lists of Wordpress/theme developer and plugins you use so you get notified when updates are released.

Very nice post @Varwen thank you :).

Associate
Thank you for the very informative post, I will take a look into wordpress and see what i can figure out. I dont mind investing a bit of time as the website does not need to go live until January really.

my only concern with something like wordpress is if doing a client login how is the security handled? Am i responsible for updating the security patches/updates? I have considered hiring a consultant to get me going but telling them that i want to manage the site myself in future for speed etc.
Unless explicitly disabled WordPress can now do automatic background updates of the core packages. Any other dependencies will need to be updated on their own.

The main security risk for most WP installations is the wp-admin page (https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/hide-wordpress-login-page/) and poor choice of plugins that have security loopholes themselves. Be frugal with what you install and you shouldn't have too many problems. Remember WordPress is the most widely used CMS on the internet (25% of websites use it) so it can suffer from frequent, well targeted attacks.

For client login an OAuth implementation will work well for your use case. I have good experience with the following plugin:
https://wp-oauth.com/

Associate
I don't know much about Wix apart from the adverts I've seen. I wouldn't recommend the HTML template route if you haven't coded before.

This is a good basic guide to get you started if you decide to try WordPress: www.simplybusiness.co.uk/microsites/wordpress-for-small-businesses/

It's definitely worth having your own domain name, rather than example.wordpress.com

An option to share documents could be something like Dropbox, or even Google Docs. You can choose to share documents with particular e-mail addresses, or only to those with the links. It might be easier to manage than client logins.

Caporegime
I would never recommend Wix for a business. The problem with Wix, SquareSpace et al. is that the website is not your property or under your ultimate control, if there is a problem with the service you are screwed. You could see the site and it's contents vanish into the ether, the servers could be hacked and your sensitive business documents leaked onto the internet, unacceptable changes to the pricing and terms of service that you have no choice but to put up with etc. It's such an unknown quantity.

Back
Top Bottom