New wheelset for cyclocross bike.

Associate
Hi , anyone had any experience with the Fulcrum Racing 7 LG CX wheelset.
My Specialized Tricross got a buckled rear wheel so thought it was time to upgrade as the Ace 19 wheels weigh 3.7kg but the Fulcrums only weigh 1.8kg , so was wondering if they are any good 80/20 offroad/road use.
Looking at this specific wheelset as they can be had for £130 and dont want to spend any more than that(if they are crap will get the buckle fixed instead).

should add they have got to take a 95kg

Soldato
There's no way your wheelset weighs 3.7kg. Did you weigh them with tyres, tubes, rotors and cassette still on?

I'm sure you'll get a good improvement from a nice light wheelset but dont be expecting to cut 2kg off the weight of the bike.

Associate
My CX bike has those on. They've worked fine so far, but I don't ride all that hard.
none of our bikes come equiped with fulcrum wheels yet we get more in for repair than any other brand, thats before you get to the need for specific tools and parts to fix them.

We keep 6 freehub bodies for cx/racing sports instock at all times and whenever a wheel comes in thats in the warranty period we change it and send the knackered one back to Iride for a replacement

Soldato
Can echo the above with fulcrum freehub bodies.

Boss had a set of racing 7 that lasted about two or three months of relatively dry weather before the freehub seized up.

Another guy goes through a freehub body about every 3 months. He had worn the spline off the cassette lockring by the time he got it to the shop it had collapsed that much.

I've queried why they are so **** and been told that they supply the bearings cheap enough that although the freehub is expensive £68-75? the bearings are only around £20.

I still don't think it should be 'ok' for them to only last that long, Mavic ones tend to run dry and howl before the, single rather than double, bearing wears out.

Associate
OP
There's no way your wheelset weighs 3.7kg. Did you weigh them with tyres, tubes, rotors and cassette still on?

I'm sure you'll get a good improvement from a nice light wheelset but dont be expecting to cut 2kg off the weight of the bike.

should have been 2.7kg , 1070g front and 1590g rear , nothing else bar rim tape, with tyres tubes skewers and cassette 5.1kg

Sounds heavy but rolls well , bit of a pig to carry.
Cassette 330g
QR 160g
Tubes 390g
Land Cruiser 45c 1500g

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom