New White Hart Lane - Delayed

Caporegime
A bit of a kick in the nuts for Spurs and an odd decision from the PL & Sky that the opening game isn't going to be televised. The Palace game was originally selected to be shown on Sky but they've now changed that and will be showing the City - Cardiff game instead.

Jokes on them, people will just stream it.

Don
OP
Jokes on them, people will just stream it.
I think it was an odd decision from Sky, especially as it was due to be televised anyway but I can't see it impacting them. While I'd guess more neutrals would rather watch the Spurs game, I don't think there's a great deal in it because of the title race factor with the other game and I doubt that too many would be bothered enough to find an illegal stream rather than just watch the City game on Sky.

Caporegime
I think it was an odd decision from Sky, especially as it was due to be televised anyway but I can't see it impacting them. While I'd guess more neutrals would rather watch the Spurs game, I don't think there's a great deal in it because of the title race factor with the other game and I doubt that too many would be bothered enough to find an illegal stream rather than just watch the City game on Sky.

Is it possible Sky don't want to do a live event in a new stadium without having done a broadcast from there yet? As in what if there are issues, drop outs, etc, better that footage goes into a highlights show than a live broadcast that has issues?

anyway, from the pictures of the stadium I see football has finally caught up to modern technology, every seat with a drinks holder... Emirates was a decade too early for this extremely new technology and it's sorely missed. The risk of getting a drink tipped on you when a goal is scored and everyone jumps about like idiots is fully 25% lower at the new Spurs stadium.

Don
OP
Is it possible Sky don't want to do a live event in a new stadium without having done a broadcast from there yet? As in what if there are issues, drop outs, etc, better that footage goes into a highlights show than a live broadcast that has issues?

anyway, from the pictures of the stadium I see football has finally caught up to modern technology, every seat with a drinks holder... Emirates was a decade too early for this extremely new technology and it's sorely missed. The risk of getting a drink tipped on you when a goal is scored and everyone jumps about like idiots is fully 25% lower at the new Spurs stadium.
No idea. Not quite the same situation, although the main camera positions etc were in the main stand, but the first game following Liverpool's new main stand was televised. I'm sure the first game at Wembley would have been televised too although I can't remember for certain and similarly, I'd guess the first game at the Emirates would have been too.

As for your 2nd point. I hate the idea of football stadiums having drinks holders, being overly spacious and comfortable. It contributes to the lack of atmosphere we see at modern stadiums. Have all the facilities you like on the concourses but keep the rest of the stadium as a football stadium, not a NFL or MLB stadium were you're sat there for an entire day while nothing goes on.

Caporegime

Sky are professionals, and they would have had some input when the stadium was being developed.

None of the normal seats have drinks holders, and I don't want that either. There's loads of room between seats now anyway, so you can just put them on the floor.

I did a photosphere thing from my seat, gives you an idea of the room between the rows, but the seats are right next to each other, no gaps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QWJWR8d9qzY1Zpf96

Man of Honour
Sky are professionals, and they would have had some input when the stadium was being developed.

None of the normal seats have drinks holders, and I don't want that either. There's loads of room between seats now anyway, so you can just put them on the floor.

I did a photosphere thing from my seat, gives you an idea of the room between the rows, but the seats are right next to each other, no gaps.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QWJWR8d9qzY1Zpf96

Superb fisheye view mate.. My seat is to the left of you looking at that picture.. I'm more on the side than behind the goal though.. It's been such a long time since I choose and booked my seat, I can't remember where my card is :D

Don
OP
Spurs' supporters trust confirmed that the attendance was down to a few factors. The first 2 rows in the north and south stands weren't open due to concerns over sight-lines, as I speculated there were unsold premium seats and then a couple of hundred seats lost to segregation.

Man of Honour
Stadium is magnificent I have to say

The only let down, after all the public health and safety concerns was the local transport. Particularly at Northumberland Park Station.

Whereas North and South bound supporters were once segregated and therefore equally dispersed, it seems the new system filters everyone down though the same station concourse creating a dangerous narrow bottleneck. This became very restrictive and uncomfortable. .. I can only describe it as “quite frightening”, particularly for younger children. It’s not acceptable in an age were we are H&S conscious.

Back
Top Bottom