New WiFi - mesh?

Soldato
Soldato
OP
That's impressive - looks like a serious bit of kit!

I think I would like to go with something that does 4x4 MIMO, the AP-AC-LITE may be a bit too "basic" to take advantage of the connection speed

Soldato
You do realise that sustained high throughput is almost irrelevant in most home situations where you burst download data more than you stream it?

I would honestly rather have 3 AP-AC-Lites and fabulous coverage than 1 AP-AC-SHD and poor coverage.

And even if you are streaming, most websites can't supply data as fast as your internet connection can accept it. So, in my case, my office has a 2Gbps symmetrical leased line but I can only upload at 85-110Mbps so their line effectively runs at whatever I can send it. As far as my use-case is concerned, 1.9Gbps capacity is wasted.

Soldato
Soldato
OP
Hello chaps

Just revisiting this. I think I will wait for the new UAP WiFi 6 models for the WiFi and do them in 1 go, however in terms of a router I might as well do that now.
So in terms of Ubiquiti, I guess I am looking for a USG? I am particularly interested in strong security/firewall so if there are any other options that would be recommended please let me know.
I will keep the RT-AC87U as an AP for now, and replace when the UAPs are released

Back
Top Bottom