New window & doors, am I out of touch?

Associate
Hello,

I'm wanting to replace my front and back doors, and replace 6 windows in my place, near Bristol.

5 windows are approx 1.3m wide by 1m high, split into 3 with outer 2 opening, and 1 is 60cmx1m. Plain double glazed white casement windows. The front door replacement would be composite, with a single double glazed panel in the top half, and back door uPVC white and full height glazed.

Just had my first meeting and quote back, and was a bit shocked at the price. They'd come recommended by a couple of colleagues so I was expecting and hoping this would be the only quote needed.

Price for the 2 doors (front door was an Endurance door, rest is Rehau Total 70 profiles) came to £3656, and then including all windows too if I opted for those aswell, the total came to £7170 all fitted etc.

Are these the current realistic fully fitted prices? Last time I had window/door fitted on another property were 4 years ago for Ali frames and triple glazed, and I was expecting the price to be quite a bit less. Am I just a bit out of touch with current prices since the rampant inflation of the last few years? What kind of prices have others paid recently?

Thanks.

Soldato
I paid £2.5k for two Endurance doors fitted (only first fix tho, it still needed tidying up)
And £2k for 4 windows cash in hand (large bedroom, small bedroom, smaller kitchen and hallway). The front door was a slam lock/small glass; the rear was fully glazed.

So yeah does feel quite expensive - although my windows were the absolute basic (yet still good/thermally efficient) frames. The flush casement ones are a bit more spenny I think.

Associate
Had mine done a couple of months ago

Composite front door, PVC back door, french doors with fancy blinds inside 3 large casements for bedrooms and living room, then 5 smaller windows for likes of bathroom and hall way. Think it came to about £86000 iirc

Associate
OP
Gotta be triple glazed, nice Ali or timber frames for that. Internorm or something similar? Not the level I'm looking at here for my crash pad flat for work unfortunately.

Last edited:
Soldato
Had mine done a couple of months ago

Composite front door, PVC back door, french doors with fancy blinds inside 3 large casements for bedrooms and living room, then 5 smaller windows for likes of bathroom and hall way. Think it came to about £86000 iirc

That price also included the bosses' holiday to Lake Como and Benidorm for all his workers and still have change for a new van. That's got to be a typo surely?!

OP, if you want a realistic cost of what the parts cost you can price them up here https://tradeframe.com/.

Associate
OP
Thanks, unless I'm doing it wrong though, you need to supply you name and phone for them to contact you and give you the prices on tradeframe.com, cant see a way to get just the price.

Associate
I'm doing 8 windows myself shortly. Various sizes and styles some with acoustic glass, and opaque glass, all made to measure. I have to pay building control £380 to inspect after. Add on maybe £100 in sealants, spacers, fixers, new tools etc. Works out the average cost per window comes in at £410. I'm guessing I'd be paying at least double that to have them supplied and fitted by a local company.

I ordered them from here, and it took about 2 weeks for them to be delivered

If you go on the site above you could configure that windows and see how much they charge to compare and work out roughly what the labour rates are. What I found was the size of the window did now have a big impact on the cost, what added cost was the number of openings.
5 windows are approx 1.3m wide by 1m high, split into 3 with outer 2 opening, and 1 is 60cmx1m. Plain double glazed white casement windows. The front door replacement would be composite, with a single double glazed panel in the top half, and back door uPVC white and full height glazed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks, unless I'm doing it wrong though, you need to supply you name and phone for them to contact you and give you the prices on tradeframe.com, cant see a way to get just the price.

I've just had a look and it seems they've changed it. When I last bought windows from them (it was 5 years ago admittedly) they had the prices visible so you could just add them to the cart.

Soldato
I'm doing 8 windows myself shortly. Various sizes and styles some with acoustic glass, and opaque glass, all made to measure. I have to pay building control £380 to inspect after. Add on maybe £100 in sealants, spacers, fixers, new tools etc. Works out the average cost per window comes in at £410. I'm guessing I'd be paying at least double that to have them supplied and fitted by a local company.

I ordered them from here, and it took about 2 weeks for them to be delivered

If you go on the site above you could configure that windows and see how much they charge to compare and work out roughly what the labour rates are. What I found was the size of the window did now have a big impact on the cost, what added cost was the number of openings.
Another vote for this website also, have been slowly replacing all my windows and doors using them.
They also have a couple of sales on a year or free upgrade to Triple Glazing.

Back
Top Bottom