New wired home network

Associate
I would be surprised if you managed to saturate a gigabit link between the switches with WiFi and CCTV. At work i have 11 (4 Megapixel) CCTV cameras sending 20 fps and it consumes a total of 83Mbps. The WiFi would need to be neigh on ideal scenarios to saturate the rest of that link

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the info. That’s good to know that the cctv won’t take up much bandwidth.

I’m currently trying to decide whether I should try and lay the cables myself and save a good 2k in labour I’ve been quoted! Any advice? The majority of the routing should be simple, but will involve some runs externally (plus digging a trench out to the den!)

Soldato
My only suggestion is to fit 10G cabling. You'll thank me when 10G ethernet becomes affordable in the next few years. The cable itself is not particularly expensive.

Soldato
I've just wired up a friends new house and I used a variation on the the Unifi system. He wanted it as simple and flexible as possible with "perfect" wifi. And 4 cameras. 1 on each side of the house. He's on BT Infinity so 76Mbps.

So I recommended the Unifi AP-AC-IW Pro 5-pack, a Unifi US-16-150W switch, USG 3P router with Draytek 1200 modem and a US-8 switch in the living room. A Unifi Cloud Key means he can control it from anywhere.

The AP-AC-IW Pro gives stonking 5Ghz performance in all the bedrooms, kitchen and living room, and we had too much 2.4GHz so 3 of the 5 access points are turned off on that band.

Each AP-AC-IW Pro uses 1 cable to give 2 1GbE ports in the room, one of which is PoE+ and can power the US-8 without any more power sockets. Everything was run using solid core CAT6 cable. Because I can't make up RJ45s to save myself I bought the Platinum tools EZ RJ45 system (£100) and I was gobsmacked how easy it is in comparison to the nonsense I had been going through previously.

The US-16-150W does have fans but as far as he's aware, it's never run with the fans powered up.

We initially used Dahua fisheye cameras which ended up being a bit of a Horlicks as we initially used the IPC-EB5500 which, it transpired, don't work in the dark as they have no IR. Who knew that a £250 camera existed that had no IR? Luckily, the supplier sells my company about £15,000 worth of kit every year and they took them back in exchange for standard domes that used the same mountings (taking them down would have put a bunch of unsightly holes in the house).

The whole thing was quite expensive (£800 for a 5-pack of the APs, £200 for the switch, £100 for the USG, £70 for the modem, call it £50 for cable and fittings and £100 for the EZ RJ45 system. Because we were only running 9 cables it seemed a bit overkill to put in a patch panel so I wired everything back into CCS vertical mount CAT6 sockets in a cupboard. The USG 3P and US-16-150W are screwed onto a board on the wall next to it and it takes up almost no room at all.

The cameras were £180 each in the end (Dahua IPC-HDBW4431EP-ASH with PFB203W mounts). A Synology NVR-216 with 2 x Iron Wolf 4Tb HDD meant we could record the video as well. So I reckon the final bill was about £2000. But it REALLY hits the brief. There is plenty of AC wifi throughout the building, more than enough bgn WiFi too and if he needs more RJ45 sockets you just add an other US-8 in the relevant room, powered off the AP-AC-IW Pro. Going for AP-AC-IW would have saved about £400 but he wanted fast AC, not just AC wifi.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, I'm struggling to find the best way to get the network installed. I've had 3 quotes, mainly from local aerial installers as they seem to be the only people that run cables. However they all seem to have a very limited (and very expensive!) choice of cables. The labour seems to vary as well, from £1200 to over £3000 (for only labour!). The cheapest doesn't seem to have a huge amount of experience in network installs, but is the cheapest and is happy to use any cable/modules I want to use. I ideally want to go for a Cat6a network to future proof it, and I guess my main question is how different is terminating a cat6a cable vs a cat5e? I'm planning on using the connectix Cat 6a U/FTP cable, and haven't decided on whether to use modules and a integrated patch panel or to use keystones. Will it be ok for the installer to run the cables and then terminate them? Or is it better to pay more (not ideal!) for the two quotes who seem to have more experience?

Also, how much testing is needed? Most of them just seem to use a VDV tester to make sure its wired correctly, but I don't think it does any specific ethernet tests? Is it important to have it done more thoroughly?

Soldato
I definitely think you’re paying the “down south” tax with those prices.

As for testing, there is no better way to test than to plug a 10GbE device in at each end and transfer several Gb of data from one end to the other.

Back
Top Bottom