• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New World still killing GPUs? Jaytwocentz vs Amazon part2

Soldato
OP
Sad thing is he copied some of her stupidity and other silly channels like hers, I never understood why anyone would watch her channel if they were into tech. She has no idea what shes talking about 99.99% of the time unless shes reading the details of a site.

she is the female version of Austin Evans

clearly there is a market for a "I like tech but I'm not a nerd so don't bore me with specifics" viewerbase otherwise Austin Evans wouldn't have any subscribers and iJustine essentially picks up all the female viewers who would otherwise watch Evans

Soldato
OP
Jay is ok, but not more than ok, he does post some actually useful videos.

Steve Burke is still quite good, i don't watch Linus anymore because he doesn't make videos about anything that costs less than $5,000.

Hardware Unboxed, i have gone off them, they hate anything that costs more than $200, which by its self: yeah ok whatever.... but the problem with them is they have a predetermined editorial direction where nothing costing more than $200 can be better.

I'm exaggerating, a bit as you can't do that with screens or GPU's but where they can they do, like "the 9900K is only 6% faster in games than the Ryzen 3600" which is absurd but the way they test these CPU's results that, its easy to do, just find a game or a part of the game where the GPU is doing all the work, which is exactly what they do and its very deliberate to get the results that suit their editorial.

Maybe Steve just hates Intel? He has been accused of this, a lot, and looking at the way he does his reviews who can blame people for thinking that, but no, that's not it.

The 3600 at the time was a favourite of his because it was under $200, he didn't like the 900K because its cost $400, and then AMD brought the 5600X out and jacked the price up to well over $200, so what did he do, he compared the 3600 to the 5600X, declared them the same performance and concluded AMD had no right to jack the price up.

The fist slide is from that video and is his evidence for his reasoning, the second slide is from Steve Burke, the same canned in game benchmark, notice the 3600 in the HUB slide at 212 FPS, the 5600X 228 FPS, then look at Steve Burke's slide, 3600 216 FPS, the same, right so now look at the 5600X in Steve Burke's slide, 320, a massive 49% difference.

HUB CPU gaming performance reviews are utterly useless, they are GPU benchmarks, nothing to do with the CPU. Because his editorial theme is any CPU more than $200 is no better.

bKycQcc.png

YbkeDDn.png

Well said, I've mentioned my previous distaste for HUB's editorial direction and for quite some time I just avoided any benchmarks they poste because I already knew the result - it's quite interesting how we can predict the benchmark result of new hardware once you know what HUB's editorial goals are for massaging the data.

HUB wasn't always like this, they changed about 3 or 4 years ago after they started doing market research on their subscribers and found that most of their subscribers were only interested in entry level hardware - since them all their reviews have basically been: entry level pc parts = good, mid range and high pc parts = bad

Soldato
OP
from reddit

"Well add me to the list, New World killed my FTW3 3090"

"Been playing New world since launch now, and was getting black-screen GPU driver crashes almost every day, a few days ago after a black screen my system wouldn't boot.

Re-seated my 3090 and all was well again. But then today another black-screen crash, so I power down the system, and now it won't power up at all, PSU just makes a clicking sound and RAM RGB turns on, but no system fans spin up and no mobo lights come on.

So I go grab my 2080Ti from my server and pop it in, system back to running fine.

I really thought I would have dodged this issue as my 3090 was from over 3months post launch, but here I am.

I know this is a relatively narrow but well understood issue, but man is it frustrating. My 3090 has died 2 days before the start of the BF2042 beta."

Soldato
OP
Buildzoid did a tear down and pcb analysis of a gpu that died playing new world.

The conclusion is that the power stages are blown due to poor power delivery design and both evga and gigabyte cards have the same issue

jaytwocentz was kind of right in his video - the cards are dying because they are pulling too much power but that's not the game's fault, you can't blame software - it's power delivery mechanism on that card's fault for delivering too much power than the pcb can handle.

Using a car analogy, It's like building a engine that can generate 500nm of torque and then attaching it to a gearbox that's rated for 400nm and when the gearbox blows up you blame the driver for flooring the accelerator pedal...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
UPS boxes are unreliable and notorious for exploding- my previous workplace got rid of them after on several occasions they started smoking while PCs were in sleep overnight

Soldato
OP
The only tech youtuber i don’t find annoying and actually interesting is Optimum Tech. He has a calming voice as well which makes it so much nicer to listen to.

the only thing annoying about him is his consent videos about sticking overheating high end components into toasters

Soldato
OP
Buildzoid rambling about the cause of the dead 3090's.

He says that the general power delivery design from Nvidia is a bit poor and a *********** for the RTX3090. One of the big issues is that all RTX3090 cards have very high OCP, they are basically pre shunt modded from the factory to pull LN2 power draw and that's to accomodate the fact that Nvidia knew the cards to hit crazy high wattage peaks. the RTX3090 is the definition of "just wing it"

RTX3090's can have 1ms power peaks that is usually reserved for LN2 and hardcore Kingpin type cards with way overbuilt PCBs. Nvidia and AIBs have budgets to hit and are not experienced enough with cards that can require such power draw. Nvidias recommended power delivery design is a bit wonky and OCP is extremely high, combine with AIB inexperience and tight budgets = consumers have GPUs that at any time can run into a highly specific scenario where their particular GPU can no longer cope and blows.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Buildzoid says there could be a lot of dead RTX3090 cards in another couple years.

Even the cards that don't have an issue with new world right now, because they are being run right at the limit of the power delivery components with these constant 500/600/700w transient spikes and these components don't last long like that.

In his experience with many cards, when they are run at max spec of the power delivery and power stages with these kinds of loads, you get about 3 years use before the card goes boom

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom