New York @ Christmas

Soldato
Right my parents said they would like to take me to New York for Christmas this year, but they said i had to do all the research finding the best deals. Which i thought is fair enough to be honest. My mum and dad have both been to New York before and stayed in the hotel opposite the UN building which they said was fab. Now i would like to know off you fine members, or those that have been to NYC before, is it better to book it as a package holiday (flights and hotel) or better to book the flights and hotel seperate?
I think it will be just me, my mum and dad, but i think my sister might possibly be coming too and we will be staying for about 5 nights i think, hopefully over christmas day etc (i know this is a more expensive time to stay.)

So does anyone know any recommended hotels and whats the best way to do it (package or seperates?) and what the best websites are? and what the best parts of town are to stay in? (preferably for the shopping etc as the currency is so weak atm and i will have plenty student loan floating around!)

Many thanks.
ROSSI

Last edited:
Associate
Patience dude you replied to yourself in only 27 minutes, I'm sure there are people who have been to New York and would offer advice but don't happen be at their computers and online within that 27 minute period.

nam

nam

Soldato
:)
CDj-Rossi said:
Right my parents said they would like to take me to New York for Christmas this year, but they said i had to do all the research finding the best deals. Which i thought is fair enough to be honest. My mum and dad have both been to New York before and stayed in the hotel opposite the UN building which they said was fab. Now i would like to know off you fine members, or those that have been to NYC before, is it better to book it as a package holiday (flights and hotel) or better to book the flights and hotel seperate?
I think it will be just me, my mum and dad, but i think my sister might possibly be coming too and we will be staying for about 5 nights i think, hopefully over christmas day etc (i know this is a more expensive time to stay.)

So does anyone know any recommended hotels and whats the best way to do it (package or seperates?) and what the best websites are? and what the best parts of town are to stay in? (preferably for the shopping etc as the currency is so weak atm and i will have plenty student loan floating around!)

Many thanks.
ROSSI

I had to go to NY for work twice this year first time stayed at the Barclay Intercontinental which is a great hotel in Mid town very close to shops and very safe. 2nd time i stayed at the Sofitel which was perfect excellent staff, very quite room on top floor, can't rate it high enough. Shopping wise everything is pretty close from Midtown i.e Macy's, Bloomingdales etc. The Cooler Areas to hangout are like Soho, greenwich village which are more South towards the WTC and financial district. There is really a lot to do in NY Shop,Eat, Sightseeing really depends on what you prefer.. :)

As for Flights - I went Virgin Premium Economy which was great as i was seated on the Upper deck next to First Class, Only 2 Rows per Alise and dedicated staff to hand, on a 7 hour flight there was constant food, refreshments etc, never really got board with 20+ movie's that were playing..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
GlasgowTitan said:
Patience dude you replied to yourself in only 27 minutes, I'm sure there are people who have been to New York and would offer advice but don't happen be at their computers and online within that 27 minute period.

It pays to read properly lol.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
its a very busy time in new york and hotels will charge a premium...

I'm going december the 8th for 4 nights to do some xmas shopping and have been booked since june

last time I went I was in the Times Square Westin...very nice

this time we have gone a bit smaller and have booked Hotel41 which again is right in Times Square

I booked the flights and hotel seperatley...and have arranged a pick up this time rather than queue for a taxi with a jumbo jet full of passengers..60 bucks I think for a lincoln town car from Newark.

Associate
I'm going with my family over christmas as well, staying at the westin. Was my sister/mum who found the deal but its been booked for some months now. Im sure there are more deals online to be had if you look hard enough.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
Westin at Times Square is very nice..very modern, damn comfy beds

we had a junior suite for a wedding anniversary break (got a a third night free as part of the deal)

amazing views at night..we went to sleep with the curtains open as it was just so magical looking out onto the lit skyline

good steakhouse there as well...and linked to a cinema complex and all sorts

Soldato
FTM said:
this time we have gone a bit smaller and have booked Hotel41 which again is right in Times Square

Hotel 41! The bar downstairs is the local office hangout :) Pretty good place, as long as you're not there on a 'busy' night.

I'm sure there are great deals to be had on packages, but I've always found it's better to book separately. However, the last time I did this I booked in August (for the new year) and got a really good deal.

Can't really talk much about hotels as the only experience in that part of town I have is with the more expensive end (corporate), which may or may not be your thing. If it is, I'd recommend the Doubletree in Times Sq. They give you a (big, chocolate) cookie when you check in :)

As for the taxi/car stuff, if you can book in advance it's fine, if a little more expensive. However, if you're quick off the plane, the taxi rank isn't that bad. From JFK it's a fixed $45 + toll + tips (about $60 total). Don't know about the others.

Soldato
FTM said:
.and have arranged a pick up this time rather than queue for a taxi with a jumbo jet full of passengers..

hehe so now you'll just queue with those that have reserved a limo /jk

I haven't been to NY. I planned to go 13/9 2001 but someone decided to crash some planes 4 days previous and had to cancel the whole shebang. I must say though everyone was great and I got all my cash back including deposits for limo hire hotel and flights.

Will go again someday so this thread interests me.

Back
Top Bottom