Newbie looking for a good (was £1k) Now £2k! Gaming PC

Associate
Hi there,

Could anyone recommend a good gaming pc for around the £1k mark?

Thinking of getting my son (11) one for Xmas.

Would like it to be fairly quiet if possible.

Thanks

Associate
OP
* Note you will need to add on approx £80 for OcUK build fee to the total:

Ryzen is the ideal option for this budget £1000 all-in-build and all their CPUs are unlocked and clock very well even on the stock Wraith cooler - which makes the Ryzen 5 1400 a very good value gaming CPU. This will clock comfortably to 3.7GHz on the stock Wraith making it great value for money.

And Ryzen is the bang for buck CPU - and memory speed is key is key so 3000MHz minimum is the minimum to get the best out of the processor.

I've added 16Gb of memory (sweettspot for gaming) as this will last you but this can be bumped down to 8Gb to save more money. I also added an 250Gb SSD as it will add more overall punch the system - it's not essential but and could be dropped - but as OcUK are building it you would benefit from it being setup and running.

You can't afford a GTX 1060 but the GTX 1050ti does an admirable job at 1080p with only a few compromises on settings with bigger games.

You only need a 550W PSU (even up to a GTX 1070) - ideally a quality one but i've had to cut coreners here and get a budget EVGA - but needs must. I would have preferred to put in the Super Flower HX 550W Green - keep this in mind

You cant't afford a 144Hz monitor and it's not essential - this model comes with speakers but recommend he uses headphones.

Chucked in a budget keyboard/mouse - I would shop around for one you like the feel of.

So, you could drop to 8Gb of memory, drop the SSD - you save this money or upgrade other components - a lot to consider:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £944.98
(includes shipping: £14.70)

*A build with no SSD but better CPU (again will clock to 3.7GHz with stock) and a better quality PSU for comparison:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £915.99
(includes shipping: £14.70)

Do I need a soundcard?
And a fan for the processor?

Associate
OP
What would your advice be?
Maybe I’m being greedy wanting a 4K gaming machine.
Do you have one?

Sorry to be a pain, but could you do a 4K one as well please!

Associate
OP
Ok brilliant. Just watched a quick video. Seems easy enough, but I remember the problems my dad had building one, although that was 20 years ago, and he didn’t have the net to help him!

Associate
OP
And I watched a few pc builds and a lot seem to have a cpu cooling fan. I know is comes with one but is it worth getting another one?

Back
Top Bottom