• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Newbie needs help!

Associate
Hi Guys,

Appologies for the newbieness.

I built my system yesterday, and when playing Crysis (high settings) the graphics card fans went crazy.

So I've downloaded MSI Afterburner and CPU-Z, and on playing Crysis again, the GPU temperature went up to 85C and the fans to 100%.

I have not changed anything in Afterburner, its all stock settings.

Does this seem normal to you guys?

Associate
OP
I would say it is high. I gather you have not overclocked the card yet either? It may be best if someone who also has this card can confirm their temps.

Nope, completely stock

Looks like you have a heat sink problem on the GPU, ether not touching properly or little or no thermal paste..

is the card brand new?
Put your hand on the card when it’s at 85c and make sure it’s not the sense.. Just don’t burn it :) better still use a finger lol

Yes its brand new, out of the box yesterday! Very sad because I want to play games lol! On which part of the card?

Associate
OP
Pics of the computer itself:

20121124_155110.jpg

20121124_155135.jpg

No restricitons as you can see.

Thats what I was hoping wouldnt be the answer lol. But I'd rather have a properly working card I suppose! Would you say get a direct replacement?

Associate
OP
The retailer. Tell them you wish to return it as it is faulty.

Still tidier than mine is on the opposite side. I have to hold the side real tight to get the thumb screws in :D

Right I'll give them a call Monday morning then! Hopefully I wont be graphics card-less for long! I've been excited for weeks about building this thing so its a bit of a let down to be honest lol

Haha luckily the R4 has a nice amount of room behind the MB tray!

Thanks for all your help gregster! Much appreciated!

I've just realized I love using exclamation marks don't I!

Associate
OP
Thanks MeMe..Me.. Thats what I'll do if I return it then, only problem is I'll lose money doing that as I'll have to pay the return postage. Think I may just ring them and see what they say

What would be a good test of this issue?

I played Left 4 Dead 2 for a while, and I didnt even hear the graphics card fans!

I've just run Heaven benchmark on high settings and it didnt get as bad as the results from playing Crysis. Does this still look suspicious:

Heaven.png

GPUZ.gif

Back
Top Bottom