• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Newbie needs help!

Associate
Hi Guys,

Appologies for the newbieness.

I built my system yesterday, and when playing Crysis (high settings) the graphics card fans went crazy.

So I've downloaded MSI Afterburner and CPU-Z, and on playing Crysis again, the GPU temperature went up to 85C and the fans to 100%.

I have not changed anything in Afterburner, its all stock settings.

Does this seem normal to you guys?

Caporegime
No way should those temps be hitting 85C with the fans at 100% and in your case. Are you sure the fans are working correctly? It could be a faulty card and MSI are not in the best books with GPUs at the moment but generally this is the 7950 MSI TF GPU and the 7850's have been fine.

Caporegime
How do I know if the fans are working correctly? They're definately on lol!

Idle temp is around 32C

Idle is fine. What is your volts and sorry, I misread your first post and missed the "fans going crazy" part.

With Idle being fine and gaming going to 85C on 100% fan, I would be a little worried. Crysis is a demanding game but I wouldn't expect it to heat the GPU like that.

Associate
Looks like you have a heat sink problem on the GPU, ether not touching properly or little or no thermal paste..

is the card brand new?
Put your hand on the card when it’s at 85c and make sure it’s not the sense.. Just don’t burn it :) better still use a finger lol

Associate
OP
I would say it is high. I gather you have not overclocked the card yet either? It may be best if someone who also has this card can confirm their temps.

Nope, completely stock

Looks like you have a heat sink problem on the GPU, ether not touching properly or little or no thermal paste..

is the card brand new?
Put your hand on the card when it’s at 85c and make sure it’s not the sense.. Just don’t burn it :) better still use a finger lol

Yes its brand new, out of the box yesterday! Very sad because I want to play games lol! On which part of the card?

Associate
OP
Pics of the computer itself:

20121124_155110.jpg

20121124_155135.jpg

No restricitons as you can see.

Thats what I was hoping wouldnt be the answer lol. But I'd rather have a properly working card I suppose! Would you say get a direct replacement?

Back
Top Bottom