Newbie Rookies Thread for Macbook

Soldato
Newbie Rookies Thread for Macbook - What other email software?

Well... First of all as a suggestion I have now created this thread so i can ask all my questions in it :)

Ok....

1) Should X11 be already installed on my macbook if not would it be on one of the DVD that came with my macbook and which one?

2) I have found something that annoys me today which is like if i am typing in a reply box like this one I am typing in now and it goes on long it does not auto scroll down to what i am typing i am having to scroll page down myself is this normal and is there a fix?

3) is Neo- Office the one to go for.. as a freebie office suite?

That all for now folks :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Rookies said:
Well... First of all as a suggestion I have now created this thread so i can ask all my questions in it :)

Ok....

1) Should X11 be already installed on my macbook if not would it be on one of the DVD that came with my macbook and which one?

2) I have found something that annoys me today which is like if i am typing in a reply box like this one I am typing in now and it goes on long it does not auto scroll down to what i am typing i am having to scroll page down myself is this normal and is there a fix?

3) is Neo- Office the one to go for.. as a freebie office suite?

That all for now folks :D

X11 Needs to be installed off of the DVD.

The Scroll thing is annoying - but just centre the browser window round the screen so that you can see it first.

NeoOffice is good - doesn't need the X11 suite though (if you get Beta 3).

Rich

Soldato
OP
also to add to my list...

What the best way to creat new docs or folders? like when you have the right click function on windows. Or is this not on the OS X?

Soldato
Rookies said:
also to add to my list...

What the best way to creat new docs or folders? like when you have the right click function on windows. Or is this not on the OS X?

New folders, just ctrl click and select new folder. There's no way to make new documents though, which is a bit poo.

Soldato
OP
What other free email sofware is there?

Email..

What other good free email software other than the

Email that OS X got
Thunderbird

I am trying to see what they are like before i settle down to one

Cheers

Soldato
Rookies said:
Email..

What other good free email software other than the

Email that OS X got
Thunderbird

I am trying to see what they are like before i settle down to one

Cheers

there is Microsoft Entourage which is part of Mac Office. This is what I use and it really is a nice little app.

Soldato
OP
Just seeing what freebie's there are before i start investing my hard earn cash on software. As so far got a few freebie's that i like. such as neo office and some others

Soldato
OP
Ok though i post this in here to see if i get help before i start a new thread...

I did ask before but cant find it...

I want a cable to come for my macbook to my Plasma tv.. The tv is Hd read with a HDMI port. what cables are there for this set up. have looked on apple site and cant find anything

Soldato
OP
punky_munky said:
I think mini DVI --> DVI is the best you can do. :)

dont think there is a DVI on my TV....

Scart
Comp
HDMI
VGA

I rather try and use the best option which is HDMI. So wonder if there is a converter from DVI to HDMI then.

I cant find anything really does apply not supply any cables?

Soldato
OP
OK another one to add to this thread :D

I remember at one time when i was looking at apple website even thou i was not a macbook owner just ipod as i have own a ipod for ages keep upgrading to new ones :D

Anyway i remember at one time you use to be able to do different things on the touch pad like doing a circlar draw on the touch pad to go back a page or what ever it did. How come there not such function anymore on new models?

Soldato
Rookies said:
OK another one to add to this thread :D

I remember at one time when i was looking at apple website even thou i was not a macbook owner just ipod as i have own a ipod for ages keep upgrading to new ones :D

Anyway i remember at one time you use to be able to do different things on the touch pad like doing a circlar draw on the touch pad to go back a page or what ever it did. How come there not such function anymore on new models?

Do you mean on an internet browser or in general? as that is supported in the opera browser (and I believe that it is available as a plugin to Firefox).

Rich

Soldato
OP
titchard said:
Do you mean on an internet browser or in general? as that is supported in the opera browser (and I believe that it is available as a plugin to Firefox).

Rich

Only thing i can do within safaris and Firefox is scroll up and down or across but nothing else. What else are we meant to be able to do.

I have Macbook NOT Macbook Pro unless they different

Soldato
Rookies said:
Only thing i can do within safaris and Firefox is scroll up and down or across but nothing else. What else are we meant to be able to do.

I have Macbook NOT Macbook Pro unless they different

well you stated by moving your finger in a circle it allowed you to go back a page or forward a page.

Opera (and firefox via a plugin) supports this - it's called "Gestures".

Doesn't matter what Mac you have for this to work.

Rich

Soldato
OP
I did ask before somewhere....

Does anyone know if there is anything so i can make my cursor White instead of black as it hard to see i think

Back
Top Bottom