NexFibre is building their FTTP network in my street

Soldato
I've been waiting quite a few years for a FTTP network to be rolled out in my street - I can get just under 50mbps download speeds on FTTC, and so FTTP would be around 20 to 40 times faster (depending on if we go for 1gbps or 2gbps).

Zzoomm began covering most of my town, but seemed to have particular problems rolling out to my street, and I think they gave up.

I've been keeping an eye on the Better Internet Dashboard website and a few weeks ago noticed that NexFibre was planning to cover my street and surrounding areas.

Apparently they've got 1.2 million lines ready for service so far.

They started their rollout here yesterday, with the roadworks sign saying Virgin and O2 on behalf of NexFibre.

Anyone else in a NexFibre area, and if so, how is the rollout going?

Last edited:
NexFibre uses FTTP only (10gbps XGS-PON).

At the moment, the only available ISP on their wholesale network is Virgin Media.

Last edited:
They've been ripping up and installing in my street for the past week, should be finished soon.
Gigaclear got their fibre up and running about 2 months after installing in our street so I'm assuming it will be around the same timeframe for this, although a couple of the workers I've spoken to said it's generally around 5 weeks after the work is carried out.

They've been ripping up and installing in my street for the past week, should be finished soon.
Gigaclear got their fibre up and running about 2 months after installing in our street so I'm assuming it will be around the same timeframe for this, although a couple of the workers I've spoken to said it's generally around 5 weeks after the work is carried out.
Good to know, thanks.

I hope NexFibre can offer Zen as an ISP on their network soon. I don't know yet if we'll be going with Virgin, as they don't have the best reputation and only offer 18 month contracts. Upload speeds on FTTP are limited also.

But I imagine it won't be until 2025 now, as there's been no news on it on recently.

Last edited:
Nexfibre are just finishing up around my area too (Great Baddow). Waiting to see what the options are but my understanding is VM won’t allow me to use my own router. Is that really true or are there options?

Nexfibre are just finishing up around my area too (Great Baddow). Waiting to see what the options are but my understanding is VM won’t allow me to use my own router. Is that really true or are there options?
Last I read the Hub 5X didn’t support modem mode, I have no idea why they are still sticking to their previous hardware format when they could just install an ONT like other fibre providers.

I thought FTTP would generally work with any router that supports PPPoE connections?

Doesn't FTTP tend to use PPPoE?

Last edited:
I thought FTTP would generally work with any router that supports PPPoE connections?

Doesn't FTTP tend to use PPPoE?
For OpenReach, City Fibre and probably any other FTTP provider you'd be correct, but Virgin like to be awkward.

This is what you get. Note the fibre link at the bottom instead of coax cable.

VM-PIA-hub5x-connection.jpg

Last edited:
For OpenReach, City Fibre and probably any other FTTP provider you'd be correct, but Virgin like to be awkward.

This is what you get. Note the fibre link at the bottom instead of coax cable.

VM-PIA-hub5x-connection.jpg
Right, thanks.

So, no ONT? Just a Virgin router?

Does NexFibre have a network status webpage?

Or, would that information be handled by the ISP (e.g. Virgin)?

They've nearly finished the work on the pavement in front of our driveway, they just need to do the tarmacking now.

I spoke one of the fibre installers and he said he was new to the job, but he thought it would take about 2 weeks before we could do an order. He said they are using blown fibre, e.g the green cables I saw being laid are hollow.

Last edited:
My dad doesn't want to affect (potentially damage) any of the power cables / any other cables in our drive way which will make it difficult to get the Virgin fibre cable installed directly to our hallway, where our LAN network sockets are installed (4 10gbps connections to various rooms).

So, I think that leaves running the fibre cable through the front lawn as the only option, if we do an order.

He also doesn't want to do this:

youfibre-postinstall.jpg

So, running the fibre cable along the outer walls, in order to install the outer fibre box on the outside wall of our hallway.

It's my understanding that running the fibre cable along the outer wall would normally be the procedure that fibre engineers would adopt, when necessary

Is it possible to get a Virgin engineer to route the fibre cable inside a property - e.g. through a wall or maybe under floorboards?

Last edited:
Fibre to the Router - I like that.

Why? My understanding is that it means you're stuck with the ISP router, which is a big negative for thsoe of us who rely or want to use features that router will unlikely have. Unless I'm missing something? This is my main concern about the nexfibre/VMO2 rollout in my area, but it may be my only option to get beyond the rough 20 mbit/s I have now...

That and they put the outlet in the street nowhere near the ducting I laid under my driveway, meaning I also probably have to take the fibre on a run around the house somehow. I think they assume you want it run to the living room (like VM would have done before for TV services?) but actually the front door/hallway area is way better for me as that's where my current infrastructure is.

Back
Top Bottom