• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Next GC ?

Associate
Hi all,

I built my gaming PC just over 2years ago and the last year I have been waiting for the new next gen graphics cards to be released before I upgrade.*

I haven't really kept upto date but am I right in saying Nvidia haven't released there's yet, AMD have on the other hand with the R9 series? Or are AMD going to bring more cards out soon?*

Thanks

Caporegime
You'll need to list your PC specs mate - especially CPU and mobo type - for anyone to make a suggestion :)

+1 :)

And a budget.

AMD don't have any new cards coming just yet, NVIDIA's are probably closer, as there are leaked specs available etc, but they are by no means imminent.

e; Apparently the GTX870/880 might be coming in Q4 this year.

Last edited:
Associate
+1 :)

And a budget.

AMD don't have any new cards coming just yet, NVIDIA's are probably closer, as there are leaked specs available etc, but they are by no means imminent.

e; Apparently the GTX870/880 might be coming in Q4 this year.

actualy it's the opposite, according to rumours AMD will release new tonga GPU during summer, and Nvidia rumours puts them during fall

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, if AMD don't have any cards coming out this year will the R9 series they recently released be able to contend with Nvidia when there's are released.

My PC
I7 2600k
1x HD ATI 6970 OC lightening 2gb
16gb G-Skill ram
Asrock z68 extreame4 gen

At the moment my card can play a lot of games just fine, it dose struggle with the new watchdogs but that's the game rather than the card. I'm not in any hurry but I do want one of the best cards to be able to run all these nice looking games that are coming out, hence why iv been waiting. Star citizen, the witcher 3 and division.

Budget can be 1k

Caporegime
All I would do is upgrade the GPU, even though your budget may be £1K.

There isn't any real need to upgrade anything else. The 2600K is still a fantastic CPU, overclock it and it will come close to even the brand new 4790K, 16GB of RAM is plenty and the Extreme4 Gen3 is a half decent board so I would keep it unless you are experiencing issues.

If you don't have an SSD, I would add one, if you already have one then obviously don't worry.

If you don't have decent aftermarket CPU cooling then I would add a good aftermarket CPU cooler, if you do then obviously don't worry.

What power supply do you have? :)

Associate
OP
Iv only ever had one problem with this PC and that was afew months ago when I started to get a blue screen. I had a faulty memory stick. G-skill were really good and sent me a new one out as they have life time warranty.

PSU I have a XFX Pro 850w black edition

Regarding my storage I have a 10000rpm HDD for my games and a SSD for my OS and program's like PS ect.

I don't have any aftermarket cooling so I will look into that especially if I decide to overclock my CPU. Is there any good guides to do this I could read.

Caporegime
OK in that case I would only get a new GPU and a CPU cooler. :)

There are some about but I'm at work so most of the tech sites are blocked :( funnily enough the forum isn't. :p

I'm sure someone will come along who can find you a guide :)

Associate
OP
Ok thanks for the input, back to the GPU now though.

Should I upgrade now or wait longer. What card should I go for?
Should I go for some sort of SLI/ Crossfire?

Should I get a R9 295 x2 with the idea to get a second.

Appreciate the help

Associate
^By next gen I would assume the future architecture to be released by NVIDA for example Maxwell. I would not really advise a 295x2 in terms of bang for buck especially if you're using 1080p as it's a waste at that resolution.

The idea of getting one 295x2 and possibly another at a later time could be a bad idea for gaming as well, because you might find a lot of compatibility issues with games on 4 gpus although benchmarks would be sky high.

If you're prepared to wait to see what Maxwell and AMD bring to the table more power to you but, not all of us are so patient, so looking at things now the 290 has great balance of power and value for money.

Things could change more if AMD release another flagship GPU as is rumoured, this could mean price drops for current gpus as well to react to a new flagship card.

Back
Top Bottom