NFC - stupid question

Associate
I'm considering upgrading my basic motorola phone to one with NFC. I like the idea of paying by waving my phone near to the contactless paypoint.

However, when using my contactless credit and debit cards, I'm periodically asked to insert the card and type in the PIN for security reasons, which I can understand.

However, does this apply to paying with NFC phones? I can't see much advantage in having an NFC phone if I still need to carry around my cards to insert if prompted.

Associate
No need for cards. Will just ask for the pin/finger print/face unlock to the phone over a certain value. Not sure what the max value you can use Google pay/Samsung pay is these days but I've never had a issue with it. Very rarely have my wallet with me these days, only really carry it for the fuel card if I need petrol.

Last edited:

sg0

sg0

Associate
I believe they are different payment Methods in the sense that apple pay/google pay are not extensions of your cards. When using a phone device The retailer's machine will not know what card you're using so it cannot verify the pin. Your device has different identifiers than the contactless card Only google/apple and your card issuer know the link.

Man of Honour
Because you're already using a pin/fingerprint/face id then mobile payments do not cause the contactless need to insert card and enter a PIN counter to increase.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
If you use an Android phone and want extra security, you can do the following:

Tip: For added security, set up your phone so that it must be unlocked to complete a near field communication (NFC) transaction.

To turn on this setting:
  1. Go to Settings
    Settings gear
  2. Tap Connected devices
    and then
    Connection preferences
    and then
    NFC.
  3. Turn on Require device unlock for NFC.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom