NFC Tags - who's using them for what

Soldato
Hey guys,

thinking about using NFC, just looking for ideas and decent tags to buy as well as the best appp for configuring them

the the moment, getting in my car turning on BT and disabling Wifi sounds cool

Soldato
That's was my use for them, only to discover windows phone does not allow you to do so as it is deemed to be a security risk. You an open apps with them, or open the wifi page, but not actually switch things on and off (This may have changed, but I doubt it).

Soldato
I thought they were changing that on WP8.1? It was kinda useful to have one on the wireless charger but it was pretty poorly implented as 1) the NFC tag was in the base, not the charger back and 2) you needed to press 'OK' to load whatever app you wanted so it never really got used :p

Soldato
WP8.1 (preview) has since changed, allowing apps to open immediately on the second time you use the tag, they will ask you if you want to always allow this tag/app.

Not tried the Wifi / BT settings yet as I've gone into using Cortana to turn on Wifi when I come home/favourite locations (still can't do it automatically turned off, but only 2 taps away now)

Soldato
Hey guys,

thinking about using NFC, just looking for ideas and decent tags to buy as well as the best appp for configuring them

the the moment, getting in my car turning on BT and disabling Wifi sounds cool

Always thought they were kind of pointless, but that actually sounds like a good idea.

Associate
Placed mine next to my light switch. Used to activate my morning alarms, sent the phone to vibrate, turn off wifi, sync and anything else which might eat up battery life.

Soldato
Have one tag stuck to my kenu airframe car mount, once touched, it enables bluetooth on the phone so it pairs up with the car handsfree/audio, it disables mobile data (dont need data whilst travelling), slaps the media volume up to full etc etc

One on the bedside cabinet, activates two alarms, turns ringer volume down to near silent, disables wifi and mobile data (dont need these running from 1am til 7am) and a few more things.

The only downside at the moment is you've always got to have a tag to reverse those changes. We need proximity based NFC so when the phone is no longer in reach of the tag, it takes those changes away ... then I will die happy

Soldato
The only downside at the moment is you've always got to have a tag to reverse those changes. We need proximity based NFC so when the phone is no longer in reach of the tag, it takes those changes away ... then I will die happy

You can do that with bluetooth low energy beacons, I believe tasker supports these now but I've not tried personally. I used to use NFC tags to set my phone up for my car journey but the connectivity/music experience is so seamless on my new car that I've not bothered.

Just bought some of these. What's the best app for configuring them?

i use trigger. it's good but i do noticed sometimes it doesn't always run multiple tasks, such as messaging 4/5 people in one go only the first in the list sometimes gets the message. it's rare and may be a result of my text app i can't be sure.

i atm use them daily in my van. i have them on my sun viser thing and they are grea to use. mainly i will scan in the morning to text staff to say i'm on my way, and then when outside their house. i also have some home automation equipment, so have certain lights that switch on/off from my van in one swipe, but also have some more tags around my house doors so can scan there too.

Caporegime

I'm assuming your using an app to make all the changes, and triggering it with a unique ID stored in the tag? In which case last time I messed about with them you could set 'switch' tags, that one tap enabled a profile, and another disabled it.

Doesn't work with leaving it ontop of the tag obviously, but if you tap it and then put it down elsewhere it works.

Back
Top Bottom