NHS paydeal 6.5% over three years and upwards.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
A pay rise, even at 1%, is a pay rise.

I do find it infuriating when people moan about small pay rises.

Except when it's not, as per:

Why? What use is say a £100 pay rise for a low paid worker, when their basic outgoings have increased by say £300, due to infation?

The public sector have been suffering an erosion of their wages for at least the last 5 years due to the pay cap.

Soldato
This seems an extremely blinkered view. You can’t ever complain provided you get any kind of a raise? Seems a remarkably weak stance to take as an employee.

It's not a blinkered view, it's a real world view. Many, many other jobs don't get an annual pay rise, so I find it rather distasteful for those that at least get 1% a year to moan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased they've had a pay rise, many of them deserve it.

Soldato
It's not a blinkered view, it's a real world view. Many, many other jobs don't get an annual pay rise, so I find it rather distasteful for those that at least get 1% a year to moan.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased they've had a pay rise, many of them deserve it.

Nearly all jobs get an annual payrise that usually keeps up with inflation if not beat it.

Caporegime

So it’s the race to the bottom mentality. Someone, somewhere, might have a worse deal so no one can ask for more because it’s distasteful? Don’t worry about trying to maintain your quality of life with inflation and rising costs, any thing thrown your way, however small, is good enough.

Soldato
So it’s the race to the bottom mentality. Someone, somewhere, might have a worse deal so no one can ask for more because it’s distasteful? Don’t worry about trying to maintain your quality of life with inflation and rising costs, any thing thrown your way, however small, is good enough.

So, you'd rather be £300 worse off than £200, using the example someone else used? A bizarre way of looking at things.

Caporegime
So, you'd rather be £300 worse off than £200, using the example someone else used? A bizarre way of looking at things.

No I’d set my sights at not being worse off at all as a minimum - and not accept being only £200 worse off because it’s better than being £300 worse off - which you seem to suggest is a great deal because someone else may be getting a worse deal.

Soldato
No I’d set my sights at not being worse off at all as a minimum - and not accept being only £200 worse off because it’s better than being £300 worse off - which you seem to suggest is brilliant because someone else may be getting a worse deal.

I'm not suggesting it's brilliant, just that it's better than nothing. If someone doesn't like their pay or benefits, move job and do something about it yourself.

Associate
I'm not suggesting it's brilliant, just that it's better than nothing. If someone doesn't like their pay or benefits, move job and do something about it yourself.
Mate it's the national health service, its so all emcompassing that there are not that many private jobs, especially for the majority of the work the NHS does, i.e. keeping >70 year old elderly people alive. Banging in plastic lenses for cataracts, lots of work.
Lots of my colleagues are off to AUS/NZ etc, some of us like me unfortunately have ties here, otherwise I'd be going aswell.

Caporegime

People did do something about it, they negotiated and for the first time since 2010 the 1% cap was broken, but asking for that was distasteful in your world view. You don’t seem to have a coherent point.

Soldato
People did do something about it, they negotiated and for the first time since 2010 the 1% cap was broken, but asking for that was distasteful in your world view. You don’t seem to have a coherent point.

My coherent point is that any pay rise is better than none. You seem too blinkered to see my view, that even since 2010 they were still getting a 1% rise, which is still 1% better than nothing.

Soldato
My coherent point is that any pay rise is better than none. You seem too blinkered to see my view, that even since 2010 they were still getting a 1% rise, which is still 1% better than nothing.

And 0% is better than -5%. And -5% is better than -10%. We can all do maths.

Back
Top Bottom