Niche Coffee Grinder - anyone buying

Soldato
£500 on a grinder for anyone else is just a status symbol.
although I have not spent that much, maybe 1/3 of that 20 years ago on a rocky, for people who buy coffees on the high street that cost would rapidly add up ...
(yes -inflation over 20years),

I think the good food processors are like good coffee grinders you can pick up some, robust 2nd hand examples too. - to wit. the 2nd hand kenwood chef I picked up on ebay, as a trial, wouldn't be without either now; long term residuals on a coffee grinder much better than an iphone too.

coffee grinder reviews are very subjective at the moment though - people rarely analyse the grind uniformity and follow the science.

Soldato
The only person that's going to know it's a £500 grinder is another coffee fan. I can think of better ways to spend your money if you want to show off!

On a mid-range GPU so you can put your picture on one of the cringe-tastic Roll Of Honour threads? :D

Good coffee gear will last for decades, and it will still be making excellent coffee. The cost/benefit proposition is easy to justify when you're looking at those sort of timescales.

Soldato
On a mid-range GPU so you can put your picture on one of the cringe-tastic Roll Of Honour threads? :D

Good coffee gear will last for decades, and it will still be making excellent coffee. The cost/benefit proposition is easy to justify when you're looking at those sort of timescales.

That's it. I bought my original Gaggia Classic in 2012 for £130. It's still going strong now and has just needed a replacement pump and seal in that time. My original Iberital MC2 grinder lasted 8 years and I sold it for half of what I paid. At a guess we probably make 1,200 cups a year between us and very rarely buy coffee outside the house. I don't think VFM is really a consideration looking at those numbers!

Soldato
I think unless you have very delicate tastebuds and enjoy only the finest coffee made perfectly, I think this product isn't needed.

£500 on a grinder for anyone else is just a status symbol.
I don't look at grinders much as I only use an Aeropress at home. But when I bought my Baratza Encore for £200 (I think) it was the cheapest decent burr grinder available. There really wasn't a lot in the sub £500 range. This may have all changed but if you're making espresso from a proper machine (I know a lot of people that do) you will certainly notice the difference between a decent burr grinder and a cheap steel blade one. No question, probably even a non-coffee head would too. Some might say the grinder is even more important then the espresso machine.

I don't think dropping £500 on a kitchen item you'd use 1-3 times a day is crazy. If you take pleasure in it then why not? People spend a lot more on bikes that sit in their garage for 10 months of the year! It's all relative..

Pet Northerner
Don
I don't look at grinders much as I only use an Aeropress at home. But when I bought my Baratza Encore for £200 (I think) it was the cheapest decent burr grinder available. There really wasn't a lot in the sub £500 range. This may have all changed but if you're making espresso from a proper machine (I know a lot of people that do) you will certainly notice the difference between a decent burr grinder and a cheap steel blade one. No question, probably even a non-coffee head would too. Some might say the grinder is even more important then the espresso machine.

I don't think dropping £500 on a kitchen item you'd use 1-3 times a day is crazy. If you take pleasure in it then why not? People spend a lot more on bikes that sit in their garage for 10 months of the year! It's all relative..

I was trying to get to the point that if you really appreciate coffee (which some on here really do) then the cost IS probably worth it. However if you make fresh coffee rarely, or can;t tell the difference between starbucks and grade-A coffee, then it's probably not for you (again there are plenty who like fresh coffee, but don;t apprieciate the subtle differences).

I'm in the second category, I like fresh coffee but use a cheap electric grinder and a regular old drip machine. The coffee tastes fine to me but I'm almost positive it'd offend some on here :) . I don't mean that in any negative way, it'd be like serving up anything at the bottom end to a connoisseur.

Man of Honour
The Niche is certainly a very accomplished and popular grinder & for what it is great value for money in the market. Its like any hobby, spend what you want on it and work out how to justify the costs to yourself.

A cheap blade or bur grinder will give you random large chunks that under extract & lots of fines (small particles) that over extract - this means you coffee ends up bitter, sour, hollow or dry. With a grinder that gives you both control over the size of the grind and a level of uniformity you can get the best out of good beans.

Fresh beans and a grinder are defiantly the first step on from pre-ground, which is a huge jump from instant. Theres always further you can go on your journey but its defiantly a diminishing return.

Back
Top Bottom