NIER - PS3/360

Associate
Just released today, picked it up from GAME 20 minutes ago, installing the game data now.

Looking forward to it, first game I've played since FFXIII, expectations are not too high, but hopefully it can keep me busy over the weekend.

Anyone else currently playing this? Please talk about it here :)

Associate
OP
first hour of gameplay

not too bad, you start off in a sort of prologue fighting shades protecting your sick daughter, you quickly learn how to battle in a hack n slash fashion.

You warn your daughter to never touch a certain book that is sitting next to her.

after getting beat up a bit your character (the father) reaches for the book to obtain "more power" you quickly learn the book has magical powers which you can control using L1/R1 and the more enemies you defeat the stronger you abilities become and they get replaced by different abilities - if you watched the video the big red+black fists is the magic that comes from the book.

After you defeat the first lot of enemies in the prologue you go back to see if your daughter is ok, it seems she touched the book..............

then 1,000+ years later the real game begins...

Soldato
Looking at the voice cast in this game is quite amusing, epsecially in some of their other works, videogames and Anime alike.

Nier (Jamieson Price) = Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors, Agol in Soul Calibur IV, the Announcer in Super Street Fighter IV. This dude just has an epic voice!

Kainé (Laura Bailey) = Serah from Final Fantasy XIII, Chun-Li in Street Fighter IV, Shura in Soul Calibur IV, Reimi & Welch in Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

Associate
Last I read about this was that NIER was to be totally different games on the PS3 and 360. Did that plan get shelved and they just made the one?

Not quite, US and UK get the game 'Nier' where the protaganist is an older character and father to a sick daughter, and Japan get 'Nier Gestalt' where the protaganist is a younger elder brother who must find a cure for his sick sister.

Have to say I thought this game looked pretty average, but for some reason I can't explain I feel compelled to keep playing due to sheer wtf-ness. From the moment I heard the voiceover at the title screen, I couldn't help but keep playing just to find out what I had gotten myself into.

I'm doubtful at this stage of the game if it will turn out to be a classic, but am enjoying (I think!) the experience so far!

Associate
OP
yeah thats another thing the voiceover at the start is pretty crazy!

Just finished the first main boss fight, and started questing and left it for tonight.

hopefully the game will start picking up, the first part was quite boring, i dont really like having to adjust the camera so much.

Soldato
just got this. Only watched the amusing intro - and quite impressive music (reminds me of Nobuo Uematsu ff music and Ennio Morricone The Mission film music)

graphics are pretty good!!!! ...for a ps2 game :/ Controls are ninja fast. Some screens change to side-scroll which reminds me of Valykrie Profile Silmaria 2.

Some quite good - will continue see if im really a graphics whore or if graphics dont bother me..time will tell.

Last edited:
Soldato
done about 2 hours worth - fought a giant frogspawn type monster lol this is a very good game :)

its a chillout explorer rpgey type game. Nice combat as well. I say chillout because the music is very cool!

the environment can be a little bit bland but its not a game breaker - graphics are better than i said before...you get used to it.

games this reminds me of:

Shadow of the Collossus, Zelda, ffXII a little bit. Only £10 as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got this a fair while back when it first dropped to £15 but couldnt bring myself to get engulfed into an RPG so have yet to play it, maybe I should...

Caporegime
Trying to find a copy of this game for PS3 is a frustrating experience... unless you want to pay £100 for a battered copy on eBay (exaggeration, slight)...

Can't bring myself to start Automata before playing this! Dammit!

Back
Top Bottom