Nikon D3200 macro lens?

Soldato
iv got this camera stashed and not used it for a long time, it was used for special occasion photos but these days phones do the job. iv been taking a lot of closeup pics of circuit boards and thought this camera may do a better job than the phone with the right lens?
if so what sort of lens would you guys suggest. money is tight so dont want to spend much.
lenses i currently have is the stock one it came with, 18-55 i think and a fixed 35 f1.4 or f1.8 i forget.

Soldato
Have you tried taking some pictures with the lenses that you have to determine whether you need a new lens when compared against phone pictures? As you might find that unless you're needing to get very small intricate details of PCBs, the camera as it is may actually do a better job. I'd say the main thing is ensuring a lot of light onto the area of interest for the photo and getting focus spot on and see whether it's required first :)

Soldato
OP
iv been trying but i can only take photos far away from the board. if i get too close to the target its all blurry. been using macro mode on the phone which is decent. guessing to be 3 inches away from the target is gonna need a special lens?

Soldato
As close as 3 inches will definitely be needing macro lenses. Something to try are close up filters that will go on the lenses you have. Can typically pick them up for a few quid and effectively work like a pair of magnifying glasses, allowing you to get closer.

Soldato
You have three basic choices:
Dedicated macro lens - best option but most expensive.
Extension tubes which go between camera and lens, more effective with shorter focal length lenses. As mentioned, make sure you get ones with electrical contacts.
Close-up lenses/filters which screw on to the front of the lens, more effective with longer focal lengths. These come in a variety of strengths ('dioptres') and qualities. The cheap single element lenses will be disappointing..... Depending on what lenses you have now, a Raynox DCR-150 could be a good choice.

All three can be used in combination for really close-up shots. :D

Back
Top Bottom