Nikon D3400 vs Mirrorless

Associate
I'm very much in the beginner category for photography. Have a Canon bridge camera and has served me very well but limited by the lens.

The D3400 still seems to be the king of entry level DSLRs and can be had with an 18-55mm lens for around £350. However, I'm drawn to mirrorless cameras simply due to their size which would be massive bonus to me. At roughly the same price point though, is there anything that rivals the D3400 or should I either up my budget or just go for the Nikon?

Similarly, at any price point, is it always going to be DSLR over Mirrorless in terms of performance?

Caporegime
Entry level DSLR and a mirrorless setup are similar. It is worth nothing that mirrorless lenses tend to be more expensive and more limited in choices than DSLR. If budget is a big criteria then DSLR is the way to go, you can get something much more capable much cheaper, especially 2nd hand.

With respect to image quality, they will basically all be the same for a beginner. Biggest limitations will be you:) DSLRs still tend to have better auto focus, but the gap get closer at the lower end and unless you are shooting sports you won't notice.

While some mirrorless cameras and systems are small, this is not a given. The Sony, Fuji and Canon mirrorless use the same sized sensor as the DSLRs, so the lenses tend to be the same size and weight with just the odd exception. It is only the m43 system of Olympus and Panasonic that can offer a truely small and light system.

Soldato
Mirrorless just makes life a lot easier at this point in terms of usability/size/weight.
DSLRs are really dependable though.

You can't go wrong with either and £350 in photography terms will usually buy you very little. In photography understand that if you get into it, its the lenses which you will buy and invest more in. The bodies get replaced oftenish... the lenses don't. Therefore I'd go towards whichever system of glass you like best.

What are your mirrorless options? If you are interested in video, I'd get a Panasonic G7 or G85 if you can find one cheap enough. If its just photography, Nikon or Canon are great.

Photography and especially video can be really difficult. Having something mirrorless aka small, really helps in keeping subjects comfortably and carrying it around.

Back
Top Bottom