No Audio Hardware

Associate
Hello all,
Just built my new setup yesterday and here are the basics:

Opteron 165
MSI K8N SLI-FI
2 GB RAM
Radeon X850

I'm running XP Pro x64 and I seem to have a problem with the onboard sound; I'm not picking it up any devices like it in device manager, although I do have one unknown device calling itself "Other PCI Bridge Device" but I don't think it's that. I have looked in BIOS and I have enabled the onboard sound and I still can't get it to see it.

I tried to install the drivers that came with the motherboard but I got an error saying something along the lines of the sound card for this driver has not been found.

Could I have blown up the soundcard when putting it all together? Could an incorrect audio pin connector give this result?

I may well buy a PCI sound card but I would like to get this fixed in the mean time. Any ideas?

Thanks

Unless you stabbed the soundchip then it shouldn't not be found, this should be a link to the page you need. The Realtek AC 97 drivers are what you want to install and they are very common so Windows might even have a generic option but if not then try those drivers. If still nothing is found then it would look as if your onboard sound is somehow not there and you might need an RMA.

Last edited:
There was a large arcing that took place somewhere round the back of my pc when I was fiddling with it, it restarted the pc and everything seemed ok. That's the kind of thing that would blow the sound card no?

I suppose it could do, generally I'd take any form of electrical activity like arcing as being a bit of an issue, I have never heard of anything like this before but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Does everything else work fine? Have you checked your bios settings to make sure that the onboard sound is not switched off by default?

Well it arced when I tried to thread a cold cathode switch through where the back plate should have been. It arced once then it all cut out, everything was ok when I restarted and having not looked for the onboard sound before I do not know whether it had changed or not. It may have killed the sound card but I would have thought that something would have shown up somewhere. BIOS says that it's enabled so i just can't see what has gone wrong bar dodgy hardware or the arcing incident.

I think I'm going to buy a good and cheap PCI soundcard now, any recommendations?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom