NO!!! How harsh is this!?

Soldato
Hi folks,

I was hoovering my PC today (I know, but safely!) to clean some dust out of it, a little Spring clean if you like...

Anyway, I just moved my hard drive 'rack' out the way, noticed it was a bit tight, but pulled anyway (stupidity), and what happens...

The SATA connector on the main hard drive broke off :( The black plastic L shaped thing that the cable latches on to.

I have now got it working by just placing it on there and having the hard drive in an upright position, this is until I order a new hard drive now :(

Tell me, do you think anyone would buy the drive even with a broken SATA connector? A hobbyist could most likely glue it in place and it will work?
Either that or ill throw it out probably!

I don't think anyone would buy it. Doh! watchout for those still connected SATA cables.

I did a similar thing once with my Raptor, almost broke the bit of and had a heart attacking thinking I did. Its especially flimsy on the Raptors.

what size drive is it, and do you still have the L... as if your going to throw it out, i could possible have a look at it and see what i can make of it...!

Maybe fix it for you and charge you postage to get it back if you like :D

OR keep it for my self :p

250GB Hitachi SATA2 :eek:

I still have the 'L' plastic bit, i've put it on the end of the connector, and pushed the cable onto it and its working, but obviously the drive is standing up on its side, and if I moved it chances are it wouldnt work.

Im on the case of some superglue, so i'll be attempting mission plastic glue 10.2 beta version later on tonight!

Essentially, all I need to do is just glue the L shape back in its place, its just a case of whether it will withstand the tests of time!

I'd personally glue the SATA connector itself into the drive (With the L bit in) rather than attempting to fit the L back on- This should give a much stronger bond, and if you do it carefully stand much less chance of doing any damage to the connectors. (Done this before on 4.5mm scale models ;) )

-Leezer-

As a previous poster has suggested - take the SATA cable - put super glue *in* the end and on the L shped bit and push the whole thing together.

Sure the cable will then (hopefully) be forever atached to the drive, but a SATA cable is dirt cheap and it is a good certainty of a fix....

Provided all the electrical connections are still sound then this is a pretty minor problem and easily fixed tbh. Could have been much worse ie needed fixing with a soldering iron.

Hodders said:
As a previous poster has suggested - take the SATA cable - put super glue *in* the end and on the L shped bit and push the whole thing together.

Sure the cable will then (hopefully) be forever atached to the drive, but a SATA cable is dirt cheap and it is a good certainty of a fix....

Nooo :eek:
Don't put any glue in the end- Thats the fastest way to bunged cables & a non-working drive. A step-by step:
1. Insert the L shaped bit into the end of the SATA cable- No glue!
2. Push the SATA cable onto the drive, again no glue anywhere!
3. Carefully put a small amount of glue around the edges of the connector, I would advise using a pin or similar to run it down, otherwise it will go everywhere.
4. Leave it to set, don't touch for several hours.

That should get you going no probs, but putting glue inside the end of the cable is one of the most stupid suggestions I've ever heard ;) - It will bung it up, and there is no way you would be able to remove it.

Trust me- Plenty of modelling experience.

Cheers

-Leezer-

*UPDATE*

I have put the hard drive in its correct mounting place now, and what I've done is, just put the L shape back into the sata cable, then pushed it onto the drive, and its holding pretty firm as it is TBH!

I may glue it at a later date.

Sean

Yeah i'm not too impressed with these Sata connectors....They seem far too flimsy im comparison with the IDE connectors. Big huge things that you have to lever out versus tiny little wobbly connectors that pop out so easily :p

hey mate, id buy it :)

if you're interested email apr5 at kent.ac.uk

I dont mind broken stuff :) I work taking lorra hardware apart.

andymaratos hotmail com = msn

If you use WD SATA drives and you're worried about the whole broken SATA port thing, you could always use one of the WD Secure Connect cables (Imagine a Raptor 150 with broken connector - I'd feel like jumping off a building). Yes, you'll have to use the Molex for the drive's power (because the Secure Connect cable covers both the data and SATA power ports, even though it's actually only connected to the data port) but there's next to zero danger of either accidentally disconnecting the cable, or breaking off any delicate SATA connectors.

Back
Top Bottom