No more Subaru STI internal combustion versions.

Soldato
So Subaru announced on Friday that there will be no more STI's with an internal combustion engine, due to emissions and electrification direction of the industry.

It has been pretty clear the new engine in the WRX wasn't that efficient anyway, but I hadn't expected this somewhat at the 11th hour.

I can only assume that this will increase the value of my 2018 STI lol.

TL;DR: STI got cancelled.

Soldato
EU regulations killed the WRX/STI years ago. Back in the 90s and early 00s when they were still making proper homologation cars they were amazing. The 2.5 boxer wasn't as good as the 2.0 either.

Last edited:
Soldato
That wasn't a problem.

The problem is emissions.
It clearly was. In the same time Audi went from 220bhp s3 to 300, rs3 had even more, a class amg, focus rs mk3. All these cars came out with awd and better versions in the same time the Subaru got heavier and had the same power. They developed the chassis to be stiff and perform better but the ej25 was pretty much the same and not really developed or replaced the whole time.

Even new they are using the same old na engine in the forester, outback and xv. They should have never bothered pouring the money into making a diesel engine for the outback, impreza and forester and used the money to developed a better petrol engine instead. The diesel was pretty rubbish as well and never sold that well.

Caporegime
It clearly was. In the same time Audi went from 220bhp s3 to 300, rs3 had even more, a class amg, focus rs mk3. All these cars came out with awd and better versions in the same time the Subaru got heavier and had the same power. They developed the chassis to be stiff and perform better but the ej25 was pretty much the same and not really developed or replaced the whole time.

Even new they are using the same old na engine in the forester, outback and xv. They should have never bothered pouring the money into making a diesel engine for the outback, impreza and forester and used the money to developed a better petrol engine instead. The diesel was pretty rubbish as well and never sold that well.

Isn't the rs3 nearly twice the price of an STI? Or hasn't it been during the last few years?

Soldato
Audis do not have anything like the handling ability of the Subarus. Subaru's AWD system is also better. But the boxer can't keep up with the modern emissions standards and mpg isn't great.

Last edited:
Soldato
the problem is they never made any progress. the car was just always around 300bhp and the AWD system was the same from 2005 to 2015.

More like from 1994 to 2018, my 1996 one made 280bhp from the factory and apart from variable valve timing was essentially the same engine and drivetrain..

As much as i loved the 2005 one i had it was a bit silly that essentially the same car was still being made and sold.

Audis do not have anything like the handling ability of the Subarus. Subaru's AWD system is also better. But the boxer can't keep up with the modern emissions standards and mpg isn't great.

Most people I know who owned scoobies, myself included pretty much all agreed they had at best average handling, but awesome grip
Evos of the time clearly had better handling, but arguably no better or probably worse grip

Trust you to be true to form though, any opportunity to try to bash the Germans

Caporegime
A lot of it has to do with Japanese boom of the late 80's and mid 90's. They were a powerhouse and have been in rapid decline ever since. The Japanese cars of the 90's to early 00's were leagues ahead of the competition.

The MR2 Turbo was 250BHP whilst Ferrari's 348 was barely any quicker. Yet the price difference was massive.

Electronics are very similar. Lots of top brands like Toshiba and JVC who were massive back then are nothing but rebranded Chinese now.

Soldato
Very unfortunate, but they were dead in the UK market anyway. I would say that's mostly in part due to Subaru's no-so-great PCP and finance/lease options compared to many of the German models. Add to that the higher tax due to emissions, lower mpg, and a ticking time bomb of a 2.5, it's no wonder they lost market share here... The WRX STi sells like hot cakes in the US though.

Ah well, guess mine have all gone up in value overnight then? :D

Soldato
Australia like Subarus as well. But over there an unreliable car can strand you in a life threatening situation. So durability trumps fancy infotainment.

Soldato
OP
Most people I know who owned scoobies, myself included pretty much all agreed they had at best average handling, but awesome grip
Evos of the time clearly had better handling, but arguably no better or probably worse grip

Trust you to be true to form though, any opportunity to try to bash the Germans

Being an owner of a modern STI. Handling isn't 'great'. It doesn't inspire confidence tbh. Grip is indeed good, as is traction, but that is to be expected. Trans is very clunky.

I think they tune it down with handling tbh. After market is your best option here.

_----_-----

Just wondering where Subaru go from here. Sill they continue NitroRX and North Americ Rally with VA cars? Seems like they have vast amounts invested with Vermont race builders.

Just makes no sense to me given all they have done with Scott Speed, Pastrana, Higgins etc. I really would have thought they would have done at least a limited run, but obviously I don't know the financials.

Back
Top Bottom